ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
Utilizing an advanced computer system, the incumbent prepares legal documentation required for exercising the legal remedies of financial institutions, and must manage his/her own file portfolio. This position is supervised by the lawyer in charge of the files. The management of daily tasks are mostly accomplished independently.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Receiving and opening files, reviewing instructions and entering data.
- Preparing, issuing and serving all necessary documents, from inception to closure of file.
- Liaising with all internal and external parties involved with the proceedings, including preparation of all required correspondence.
- Monitoring the various steps throughout the legal proceedings, and dealing with any particular issues that may arise.
- Reviewing all correspondence and responding to said correspondence.
- Receiving and processing all monies received in connection with a file.
- Preparing detailed reports for all parties involved with the proceedings (internal and external), and entering all file progress information in the computer system (for each file, diarizing, scanning, and uploading email messages and documents).
- Preparing bills to be sent out to financial institutions; preparing files for closing and forwarding them for filing purposes.
- May act as a “go to person” for junior members of the team, providing them direction and guidance.
- Any other duties as required.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, and to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner.
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Able to handle a large quantity of files.
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary.
- Able to handle stress appropriately.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bilingual (English/French).
- Legal Administrative Assistant or Administrative Assistant Diploma/Certificate.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a legal assistant in the litigation field.