At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a Global 100 legal practice with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, Asia and the Middle East, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, paralegals/law clerks, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We have a career opportunity for the position of Senior Law Clerk for our Advocacy Department to work within a team environment practicing Employment & Labour Law and Life & Disability Insurance Defence.
- Initiates the organization of and manages files or parts of files;
- Calculates litigation time lines and ensures deadlines are met;
- Liaises with clients and professionals;
- Drafts Court documents such as Affidavits, Motions, Affidavits of Documents, Bills of Cost, etc.;
- Creates a document database, cross-reference production and exhibit documents and maintains disc copies of transcripts for searching purposes using the Summation program;
- Provides litigation support prior to and during trials and hearings. Organizes attendance of witnesses;
- Reviews transcripts to summarize and prepare lists of outstanding items;
- Assembles answers to undertakings;
- Prepares charts, chronologies and summaries of documentary evidence for use on discovery and trial;
- Performs legal research as generally required in preparation of pleadings.
The ideal candidate will have a Law Clerk diploma and a minimum of five years of legal experience as a Law Clerk/Paralegal combined with knowledge of current legal policies and procedures. Other requirements include expertise in Microsoft Office Suite, strong organizational and problem-solving skills, advanced experience in Summation or equivalent software, the ability to effectively handle large volumes of work, with the ability to work independently as well as actively participate in and support a team. Bilingualism is considered a strong asset.