ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently seeking an energetic, detail-oriented, Senior Law Clerk to join our fast paced team. As a member of the Law Clerk team, the incumbent will primarily support professionals in the Financial Services/Real Estate department, with a focus on our Leasing and Gaming Licence practice areas.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Drafting a variety of documentation, including agreements, leases, assignments, amendments, notices and correspondence to meet the needs of the various steps required throughout the conduct of the file, in accordance with legislation and/or governing regulations
- Conducting lease reviews and preparing lease summaries
- Management of leasing files, including negotiation of leasing documentation and direct contact with clients and opposing business people, agents and legal professionals
- Organizing, tracking and maintaining document files and case correspondence, using, where appropriate, computer databases and imaging software
- Initiating follow up actions where and when necessary
- Liaising with clients to obtain and, when directed by the professional, provide information
- Communicating directly with service providers in connection with the client’s file
- Preparing reports on an as needed basis
- Other duties as required
- Law Clerk certificate/diploma and ILCO certification
- At least 5 – 8 years of experience as a Law Clerk
- Possess a broad foundation of legal concepts, experience and applications relevant to the practice of commercial leasing
- Prior experience with Gaming is an asset but not a requirement
- Ability to deal with changing priorities and busy practices
- Ability to meet strict deadlines with excellent multi-tasking and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication skills and client service skills
- Ability to work with different personalities, while under pressure
- Confident and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere