ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
Gowling WLG is seeking a Senior Legal Administrative Assistant for our IP Department to work within a team environment practicing Trademarks. Based in the Ottawa office, the successful candidate will perform full legal clerical work of a responsible and confidential nature for primarily one professional within a team.
- Organize and expedite the flow of work through the professional's practice, initiating any follow-up action as appropriate;
- Prepare draft correspondence and documents for review with minimal direction;
- Facilitate submission of trademark prosecution, opposition, cancellation and other filings with CIPO;
- Provide administrative support with evidence and other documents required for opposition, cancellation, and litigation matters;
- Assist with organizing and maintaining files relating to trademark portfolios;
- Facilitate powers of attorney and handling of documents for foreign prosecution needs;
- Assist with other trademark, project-based, and administrative matters as needed;
- Liaise between the legal professional and various internal and external individuals, groups and clients at all levels;
- Work proactively in the day to day support of the professional's practice;
- Use initiative and good judgment to relieve the professional of administrative detail.
- Administrative Assistant or Legal Administrative Assistant Diploma, or equivalent demonstrated expertise, ideally coupled with a minimum of five years’ legal trademarks experience;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
- Solid keyboard and drafting skills are required;
- Ability to work in a team environment with a professional demeanour;
- Strong written, oral and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail to manage deadlines and file management;
- Ability to multi task within a fast paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize competing deadlines.