ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As an international law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, Asia and the Middle East, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, paralegals/law clerks, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
The legal administrative assistant will perform full legal administrative work of a responsible and confidential nature for one or more professionals or to a specific department. This position will receive some direction or guidance; most tasks and objectives will be accomplished independently.
- Organize and expedite the flow of work through the professional’s office, initiating follow-up action
- Legal documents with little or no direction according to general precedents or instructions from professional
- Letters, memos, etc. of a confidential nature, which may be drafted independently for review by supervisor or may be prepared from dictation or hard copy
- Liaise between the professional’s various internal and external individuals, groups, and clients at all levels
- Forward or respond to routine correspondence not requiring the professional’s attention
- Manage the bring forward or diary system/database to ensure important dates and deadlines are met
- Prepare special reports, which may include gathering, analyzing and summarizing data
- Exercise initiative and judgment to relieve the professional of administrative detail
- Create, monitor and maintain client files for better file management and client service
- Co-ordinate administrative tasks, e.g. accounting, opening and closing files, docketing, billing, etc.
- Perform any other duties as required
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with other firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to use discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Bilingualism (French/English)
- Legal assistant certificate or diploma
- Eight years or more as a legal administrative assistant