About Gowling WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, this role directly manages all areas of compensation and benefits, to include the identification, development, and evaluation of compensation & benefit programs that enhance and support the Firm’s overall strategy. This role will also include managing special projects that support the Firm’s overall strategy.
This position can be based in any of the following Gowling WLG offices: Ottawa, Toronto or Hamilton.
- Work closely with the Director of Human Resources to identify, develop and evaluate various compensation and benefit programs and initiatives throughout the firm.
- Manage the administration of the Firm’s compensation programs, including job evaluation systems, pay for performance and incentive programs.
- Deliver strong analytical and research support on internal compensation issues and compensation practices in collaboration with the HR team in order to make recommendations and influence business decisions.
- Manage day-to-day compensation activities, including firm-wide survey participation, job evaluation, market competitiveness analysis, job grades, salary structure recommendation and wage matrix development.
- Lead the annual compensation cycle process, including analyzing data, developing processes, tools, guidelines, communications and implementation of merit increases and various incentive programs.
- Oversee the administration of the organization’s benefits plans, including recommending strategies for reducing benefits costs, improving processes and leading changes to plan design or carriers.
- In collaboration with the benefits team, review annual group benefit reports to proactively make informed decisions about the Firm’s health and wellness and other HR initiatives and programs.
- Act as subject matter expert for HR and benefit teams; provides advice on pay decisions for new hires, retention issues and promotions, and policy and guideline interpretation.
- Maintain compensation data and records used for modeling/costing/reporting on compensation projects such as job structure updates, job evaluation, salary surveys, etc.
- Provide analytical support for cost modeling and reporting.
- Keep abreast with industry trends and best practice through continuous learning and networking.
- Manage special projects that support initiatives mandated by various internal management committees.
- 5+ years of compensation and benefits experience in a management position, preferably in a professional services environment.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Human Resources Management.
- Certified Compensation Professional (‘CCP’) or Certified Benefits Professional (‘CBP’) designation an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of compensation principles and practices and knowledge of statistical methodologies.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Experience developing policies and programs related to compensation and benefits.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships, gain deep industry knowledge and provide pro-active and responsive solutions to business needs.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and experience with HRIS
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, including the job title and File No. F187401 in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.