ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
The Gowling WLG Ottawa office is currently seeking an HR Advisor to join our Human Resources Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing senior level support and counsel to the office and Human Resources Department to ensure the goals and objectives of the department are met to support the growth of the Firm.
- Acts as a leader and provides guidance in the maintenance, administration and communication of policies, procedures and initiatives.
- Applies knowledge and experience in interpreting HR policies, procedures, benefits and payroll, and provides counsel to firm members on application of firm policies in accordance with employment legislation.
- Facilitates, coaches and counsels key stakeholders on performance management, including developing action plans, progressive disciplinary strategies and terminations.
- Leads HR processes and projects within specified timelines and budgets, resulting in identifying best practices and operational process improvements.
- Proactively responds to employee relations issues by identifying problems and recommending solutions.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of annual HR budget.
- Leads recruitment initiatives by implementing effective recruiting and hiring practices to attract and retain top talent and meet resourcing needs.
- Collaborates with the HR Manager and/or GM on all compensation matters.
- Manages the full cycle of various employee programs such as new employee orientation, wellness clinics, training, etc.
- Prepares and analyzes reports to identify trends and implement solutions.
- Participates on committees (i.e. D&I, Health & Safety).
- Acts as back-up to other HR team members during periods of high volume.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary Education in Human Resources Management, coupled with a minimum of five years’ experience in a Human Resources position, preferably in a professional services environment
- Strong understanding and knowledge of Human Resources Management policies, best practices and employment legislation
- Solid track record of building relationships, gaining deep industry knowledge and providing pro-active and responsive solutions to business needs.
- Possesses strong communication and presentation skills and is comfortable facilitating groups, and coaching individuals
- Experience working closely with internal clients on complex/sensitive issues and demonstrates discretion and ability to handle confidential and private information appropriately
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; experience with HRIS is an asset
- Bilingualism (French/English) is a strong asset
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title and file number #O177402 in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.