ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
The successful candidate will work with our Law Clerks in the Advocacy Department and be responsible for the preparation of all necessary legal documentation, working within corporate commercial, insurance defence and various other areas of litigation.
The incumbent’s responsibilities may include and are not limited to the following:
- Receives directions from professionals and law clerk supervisor
- Applying drafting skills with respect to pleadings and correspondence to meet the needs of the various steps required throughout the conduct of the file
- Independent maintenance of files, including monitoring, organization, updating of material and contact with opposing counsel
- Managing documents in electronic databases
- Ability to separate first draft of privilege, irrelevant, producible documents, issues, etc.
- Proactive approach to work including initiating follow up actions
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, periodically under tight timelines
- Preparation of materials for experts
- Assists the professional in preparation for formal stages of processes, questionings, court proceedings, etc.
- 8+ years as a Paralegal/Law Clerk
- Paralegal/Law Clerk or Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate
- Experience within a law firm environment
- Knowledge of Summation, Relativity, or another platform is required
- In depth knowledge of legal terminology, principles and rules of civil procedure and process is an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional, confidential and courteous manner
- Superior analytical and organizational abilities
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Excellent writing, verbal and grammar skills
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Interpersonal skills required to work effectively with other staff and professionals in a team environment