ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are seeking a full-time Intermediate/Senior Securities Law Clerk to join our Business Law team in the Toronto office. The successful candidate will assist the Firm’s clients by handling legal and administrative matters related to securities regulatory filings and approvals. The position involves extensive direct dealings with the Firm’s clients and legal professionals and requires a strong working knowledge of corporate finance transactions (including prospectus and private placement offerings), continuous disclosure requirements and registration and compliance related matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Drafting materials for prospectus offerings and brokered and non-brokered private placement financings (together with post-closing filings) as required under NI 41-101, NI 45-106 and TSX, TSXV and CSE policies etc.
- Conducting searches of public company information on SEDAR and EDGAR
- Drafting continuous disclosure documents (i.e., news releases, material change reports)
- Drafting annual and special meeting materials including proxy materials, scripts, minutes, etc.
- Updating minute book information and maintaining minute book filings for the reporting companies and the private subsidiaries
- Preparing all stock exchange, SEDAR, SEDI and NRD dealer, advisor and investment fund manager filings
- Providing assistance in support of all aspects of clients’ securities registrations and NRD filings, including preparing/reviewing and filing new individual and firm applications (and monitoring/managing the regulatory review of same), notices of change and terminations of individual registrations and managing annual filings
- Preparing and annually maintaining all filings required to support our clients who rely on an international or other exemption from the dealer, adviser or investment fund manager registration requirements
- Maintaining the Firm’s reminder system regarding annual meetings for our public company clients
- Liaising with clients, accountants, lawyers and regulators by telephone and in person to take instructions and obtain information, and reporting on status of matters
- Assisting in the drafting of applications to regulators for exemptive relief
- Advising on filing fee requirements
- 10 years’ experience as a Law Clerk preferred
- Working knowledge of the securities laws, instruments, rules, forms and policies across Canada
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with the Ontario Securities Commission and stock exchanges
- Knowledge of securities requirements in the US is an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, verbally and in writing, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner
- Demonstrated initiative and capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to respond to urgent client requests outside of normal business hours from time to time
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail to be able to analyze legal documents for accuracy
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct