The penalties for non-compliance are severe, with fines of up to $10 million, as well as the potential for private actions for damages and even class action suits.
What exactly is a commercial electronic message? How do you determine express or implied consent? And what does all of this mean for you and your business?
At Gowling WLG, our dedicated legal professionals are here to answer your questions and ensure your organization is fully CASL-compliant.
Gowling WLG is home to some of Canada’s top advertising and marketing, privacy, and technology lawyers. To date, we’ve advised a wide range of Canadian, U.S. and multinational businesses on their CASL-readiness strategies. Our team can help you:
- Audit your current approach to commercial electronic messages (CEMs) and managing recipient consents
- Develop policies and plans to ensure your organization is CASL-compliant
- Identify CASL exceptions and implied consent scenarios that may apply to your organization
- Implement CASL best practices, including building “data buckets” to manage recipient consents, and establishing information support mechanisms for unsubscribing and preference management
- Plan and implement staff training to ensure your organization understands and complies with CASL
Preparing Your Organization for CASL's Commercial Electronic Message Requirements: This article summarizes the critical steps that organizations need to take in order to be CASL-ready.
CASL Compliance Flow Chart: Not sure if your email practices are CASL-compliant? This helpful chart outlines seven questions that every organization needs to ask before hitting “send.”
CRTC.gc.ca: The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission website offers useful infographics, videos, and information bulletins to help you better understand how CASL affects your business.
FightSpam.gc.ca: The Government of Canada's official CASL website hosts a wealth of resources, including Fast Facts, helpful CASL FAQs and a glossary of terms used in the legislation.
We want to help you succeed. To learn more about our CASL-related services, please contact Brian Fraser, Wendy Wagner or any member of our team.