We help clients anticipate new developments in environmental law, delivering practical advice and effective representation that helps clients address environmental issues as they arise.
The legal professionals at Gowling WLG are recognized nationally and internationally for their expertise in environmental law. Six members of our team are listed among The Best Lawyers in Canada, and in Ontario, five professionals are “Certified Specialists in Environmental Law” — a designation granted exclusively by the Law Society of Upper Canada to those who have met established standards of experience and knowledge, and maintained exemplary standards of professional practice.
The legal expertise you need
Our in-depth environmental law services include:
- Brownfields: Advice on brownfield development strategies addressing environmental, municipal and planning approvals as well as economic incentives
- Climate change: Advice on proposed measures to address climate change, including carbon credit quantification and verification
- Corporate transactions: Environmental counsel in negotiations, due diligence and risk assessment as well as in drafting environmental provisions in transaction and finance documents
- Corporate advice: Counsel to businesses in a wide variety of industry sectors
- Emergency response: Advice with respect to environmental emergencies
- Environmental assessments: Advice on compliance with provincial and federal environmental legislation
- Litigation and advocacy: Representation at every level of court in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Québec on a variety of issues, including toxic tort and contaminated lands litigation, defence and prosecution of environmental laws, and environmental arbitration and mediation, as well as counsel at parliamentary committees, municipal councils and provincial tribunals
- First Nations: Counsel and representation for First Nations, as well as public and private sector clients involved in Aboriginal rights issues
- International development: Preparation of institutional strengthening
- Real estate transactions: Advice on potential liabilities relating to corporate real estate transactions and development projects
- Toxic substances: Assistance in dealing with the registration of new substances for use in Canada, and advice on the proposed designation of certain substances as toxic substances
- Training: Design and delivery of environmental law training programs
- Transportation of dangerous goods: Advice on the registration, use, storage, handling, importing/exporting and transportation of toxic and controlled substances
- Waste management: Advice and representation on all aspects of waste management, from permitting to ongoing compliance
- Water and wastewater treatment and management: Advice on day-to-day operations, corporate structuring and outsourcing of municipal services
We want to help you succeed. To learn more about our environmental law services, please contact Mira Gauvin or any member of our team.