Immersed in all areas of succession planning and estates, our team of experts is keenly aware of the often difficult — and sometimes contentious — decisions our clients have to make.
Our expert team provides creative, effective solutions in the following areas:
- Wills and powers of attorney
- Personal tax and estate planning for high-net-worth individuals, including family trusts, estate freezes, cross-border estate planning, and immigration/emigration planning
- Succession planning for entrepreneurs and family businesses, including corporate reorganizations, shareholder agreements, the effective use of life insurance and tax-advantaged sales
- Private company taxation
- Charitable donation planning
- Administration and variation of trusts
- Estate administration, including post-mortem tax planning
- Passing of accounts for trusts, estates and attorneys under powers of attorney
- Removal and replacement of executors, trustees and attorneys
- Mental incapacity matters
- Estate litigation
We assist our clients in developing comprehensive estate plans that are sensitive to their needs. This typically includes the drafting of wills, powers of attorney and family trust agreements. Depending on a client’s situation, more sophisticated estate planning might include estate freezes, probate planning and private foundation planning.
Effective tax minimization strategies
Whether you’re an entrepreneur or family-owned business, we can help develop and implement tax-effective business succession plans, maximizing the use of tax advantages, such as the capital gains exemption, eligible dividends, capital dividends and the small business deduction.
We also excel in estate administration, including probate matters, transfer of assets, post-mortem tax planning and personal and estate tax filings. Interpretation of wills and trust agreements, contested wills, lost wills, and testamentary capacity issues are handled with discretion and compassion. Our experienced estate lawyers also manage mediation and litigation of estate disputes.
To find out more about how we can support your private client service needs, please reach out to David Stevens or any member of our team.