ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
This position can be based in: Vancouver, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montréal, Toronto or Waterloo Region.
Reporting to the Business Development Lead, the primary responsibility of this role is to support the firm’s business development programs specifically in the Energy (Power, Nuclear, Renewables), Infrastructure, and Mining industries. This role will work closely with related leaders to identify and support BD activities for clients and other contacts through project management, internal coordination, document management, writing and liaising with the firm’s legal professionals as well as the marketing, communications and business development colleagues across the firm. The BD Specialist ensures requests for business development support are tracked and delivered in a responsive and timely fashion.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the leaders of the Energy, Nuclear, Infrastructure and Mining groups with the implementation of business development initiatives, including developing and executing annual strategic plans and budgets
- Develop intelligence reports and track client targeting initiatives
- Work with the Proposals team to provide direct support for RFP responses, business development proposals and presentations
- Work with professionals to plan and implement trips, events and other initiatives, particularly in developing differentiating event concepts that enable lawyers to connect directly with clients and prospective clients.
- Work with business development, events, marketing and communications team members to optimize value of sponsorships and conference participation and ensure maximum value for sponsorship/conference investment as well as post-event follow up to track event success.
- Manage routine exports of data for business development efforts and prepare custom reports on an as-needed basis.
- Liaise with counterparts located in international Gowling WLG offices to ensure coordinated sales targeting as well as joint trips and conference participation
- Participate as a member of the business development team in developing and enhancing group-wide best practices for content management, process and information flow.
- Provide a high level of service to team members and other internal clients, both within the marketing & business development group and the broader firm.
- Other duties as required.
At a minimum, the required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities for this position, are as follows:
- 3-5+ years related work experience
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in a related field
- Experience in the energy, nuclear, infrastructure or mining industry and/or working with companies in related sectors
- Experience in a professional services environment, or a similar service-oriented role within a related industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel); previous experience with content management systems and email marketing platforms will be considered an asset (although not a requirement)
- Exceptional project management skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, with a solutions-oriented approach to obstacles and challenges
- Strong judgement and initiative combined with an ability to know when to ask for clarification
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with overlapping deadlines in a fast paced environment
- High level of professionalism and ability to work collaboratively
- Desire to exceed expectations and deliver high-quality work
- Some travel may be required
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, including the job title and File No. F187503 in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.