ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
As a key member of the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Council, this role will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to develop, execute and promote the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion strategy and initiatives for Gowling WLG (Canada).
This position can be based in any of the following Gowling WLG offices: Toronto, Ottawa or Hamilton.
- In conjunction with the Chair(s) of the Diversity & Inclusion Council, manage the development and implementation of the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) strategy.
- Develop and deploy effective solutions to enhance the Firm's progress on D&I globally, liaising with management and key internal stakeholders to ensure that the approaches are robust and consistent, and accountabilities are clear across the Firm.
- Plan and develop programs to ensure that D&I is a key part of the Firm’s engagement strategy and is seamlessly embedded across the full employee lifecycle.
- Work with recruitment professionals to identify and implement strategic opportunities to develop diversity pipelines.
- Build strong and effective relationships with key internal stakeholder groups, employee networks and diversity champions.
- Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of diversity initiatives and provide meaningful data to key internal stakeholders, to create insight and influence opinion.
- Be a visible representative of the Firm's commitment to D&I, both internally and externally, finding meaningful ways to promote the Firm's progress (such as external awards).
- Work closely with the Firm’s communications team to ensure that the D&I communication objectives are met.
- Act as a point person for D&I responses for proposals and other client related requests.
- Develop, source and coordinate training and other internal events to promote and advance the Firm’s D&I initiatives.
- Work with the Firm’s marketing and business development teams to incorporate D&I themes into external client-facing events.
- Keep current on diversity programs and develop relationships with others in the field (e.g., professional association and educational groups, and professional development efforts).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the D&I field including management of D&I principles and best practices, preferably within a law firm or partnership environment.
- A passion for D&I with a willingness and ability to collaborate and build relationships to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Capacity to think strategically with the ability to persuade and influence others.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Strong understanding of program/project management methodologies, business processes, and leading practices.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in MS Office with advanced PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Human Resources Management, Social Science or other related field.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.