ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently seeking a detail oriented individual to join the Advocacy department in the role of Law Clerk for our Medical Defence/Health Law group. This is a contract position ending November 2018.
Based in the Ottawa office, the successful candidate will perform full legal clerical work of a responsible and confidential nature for one or more professionals.
- Familiarity with the Rules of Civil Procedure or QC Code of Civil Procedure (or equivalent in other jurisdictions);
- Conduct research and monitor developments in health law legislation and policy;
- Assist with the development and maintenance of resource database of health law materials.
- Assist with the management and progression of a large portfolio of medical defence files;
- Review and prioritize incoming correspondence from the client(s) and counsel;
- Entry and management of information on files in proprietary database;
- Review of files for progress and monitor due dates;
- Liaise with client(s) and professional(s);
- Draft correspondence to client and counsel on both routine and substantive issues.
- Law Clerk diploma or other relevant post-secondary education;
- Minimum of one to five years of legal experience as a law clerk/paralegal;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- The ability to effectively handle large volumes of work and adapt to new processes;
- Capacity to work independently as well as actively participate in and support a team;
- Fluency in written and oral English and French communication skills is a benefit.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via email to email@example.com including the job title and file number #O1853005 in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.