ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
The Gowling WLG Ottawa office is currently seeking two motivated law clerks to join its dynamic Medical Defence & Health Law group on 12-month contracts, with the possibility of permanent positions. The Medical Defence & Health Law group acts as counsel on various matters in support of the defence of medical professionals. The successful candidate will be proactive, have a strong work ethic and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
The incumbent’s responsibilities may include and are not limited to the following:
- Receive directions from professionals
- Draft court documents and correspondence at each of the various steps throughout the conduct of the file
- Liaise with client to obtain new file details and information and relay the specifics to professionals to ensure the timely file opening and client contact has been made
- Calculate litigation timelines and ensure deadlines are met
- Maintain files, including monitoring, organization and updating of material, contact with opposing counsel, Courts and clients, and initiation of follow up actions where necessary
- Manage documents in electronic databases
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Prepare materials for experts
- Summarize transcripts and prepare lists of outstanding items and/or tasks
- Assemble answers to undertakings
- Prepare charts, chronologies and summaries of documentary evidence
- Assist professionals in preparation and attendance at formal court/administrative processes and proceedings, examinations, etc.
One of the successful candidates will also have the following administrative responsibilities:
- Assist in developing and improving electronic file management systems and paperless practice processes
- Be prepared to liaise with firm IT specialists and third party service providers
- Assist in training and provide ongoing support to all group members on litigation support software and electronic file management systems (including Relativity)
- Draft policies and procedures for all group members and provide ongoing support on these policies and procedures
- Maintain and continually update several spreadsheets regarding fee forecasting and billing
- 3-5 years as a Paralegal/Law Clerk
- Paralegal/Law Clerk or Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate
- Knowledge of Relativity, or other e-Discovery platforms, is an asset
- Knowledge and experience working with Automated Civil Litigation (ACL) software is an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot and develop creative solutions
- Interest in and aptitude for new software and technology
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology, principles, processes and Rules of Civil Procedure is an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional, confidential and courteous manner
- Superior analytical and organizational abilities and the ability to problem-solve
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Excellent writing, verbal and grammar skills
- Handle stress in a professional manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Interpersonal skills required to work effectively with other staff and professionals in a team environment