ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently recruiting for a Payroll Specialist for an 18-month contract. Working as part of the Finance team, this position plays a key role by preparing payrolls, maintaining accurate payroll records and responding to payroll requests and inquiries.
- Performs a variety of involved duties necessary for the accurate preparation of payrolls, including:
- Process semi-monthly payroll for more than 900 employees using ADP Workforce Now
- Issue ROEs, T4s, Relevé 1 forms
- Calculation of statutory and voluntary deductions
- Changes for current pay period
- Calculate time worked for hourly employees, ensuring correct authorizations and overtime calculations for payment and disbursement charges to client files
- Accurate data entry into applicable software
- Identifies pay anomalies and obtains resolution from appropriate person.
- Manages employee changes, terminations and remittances to relevant programs associated with payroll (e.g. RRSP/TFSA, garnishments and BC Medical).
- Reconciles payroll to ensure payroll accounts balance, including processing occasional journal entries, preparing cheque requisitions and investigating any discrepancies.
- Communicates with employees with regards to individual salary and deduction considerations, as well as related inquiries.
- Escalates non-routine inquiries to senior staff.
- Creates regular and ad hoc reports as required.
- Provides support and back up to more experienced personnel in calculation of special payments or preparation of reports.
- Must be able to commit to a contract role.
- Any other duties as required.
- Four years’ relevant experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Knowledge of governing payroll policies, legislation, regulations, standards, processes and procedures in order to assist the Payroll Manager in establishing or updating payroll practices as required.
- Ability to perform analytical work, using detailed knowledge of procedures covering multiple payrolls which require different deduction and tax treatment
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Knowledge of payroll software
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate knowledge of Excel an asset
- Knowledge of ADP WFN experience an asset
- Bilingualism (French/English) may be required in some offices
- Post-Secondary diploma in Accounting, Administration or Business an asset
- Working towards Canadian Payroll Certification an asset
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via email to email@example.com including the job title and quoting file number O18FIRMFIN005 in the subject line.
Gowling WLG is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. We foster an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.