Gowling WLG’s team is immersed in your sector. Through in-depth industry knowledge and undisputed experience, our experts will help you protect your brands, mitigate risk, navigate and comply with regulatory bodies and operate in a global environment.
From the growing of crops to the processing, transportation, distribution and sale of food, beverage, and other natural health products and supplements, our international, cross-disciplinary team will work with you to provide a tailored, cost-effective service.
You’re under increasing pressure to do more with less. Expect an experienced and creative team that puts your business objectives first, drawing on specialist sector knowledge to provide you with a cost-effective and innovative legal solution.
Delivering what you really need
We’ll work with you to agree what you really need, then deliver that. We won’t just answer your legal questions – we’ll consider whether you’ve asked us the right ones. You’ll receive creative and practical business solutions, delivered in everyday language.
Your business doesn’t stop at borders – and neither do we. Our international team works regularly with global food, beverage and supplement companies. You can rely on us at every stage of the product cycle: from supply chain contracts, regulatory approvals, product labelling and advertising and reforms to brand promotion and protection, distribution, product liability issues and recalls. Our suite of services covers:
- Advertising & marketing
- Brands & intellectual property protection
- Class actions, litigation, dispute resolution, product enforcement & recalls
- Customs compliance & regulatory crime
- Direct sales & e-commerce
- Food labelling & claims
- Formula & ingredient compliance
- Manufacturing, outsourcing, distribution & quality assurance
- Product regulatory
The inside track
You need advisers that understand your day-to-day issues. Multiple members of our team have completed significant in-house secondments and regularly advise a number of the sector’s biggest players, giving us the commercial experience to provide advice that satisfies your business goals as well as your legal needs. We’ve got legal experts with backgrounds across the sciences, whom you can rely on to understand and interpret the technical aspects of any instruction.
With increasing regulation and compliance requirements, you need to know what changes are around the corner and how they could affect your business. We’re actively engaged with bodies critical to the industry across the globe, including the Groceries Code Adjudicator in the UK, Health Canada and the Direct Selling Association.
We’re regularly invited to speak at industry events and lecture at universities, putting us as the forefront of innovation within the sector. This allows us to provide you with succinct legal updates, carefully crafted events, cross-sector workshops and timely alerts, giving you the commercial edge.
Client work highlights
Highlights of our recent work include:
- Acting as virtual in-house counsel to some of the largest multi-national food, beverage and supplement brands in Canada.
- Advising Nomad Foods (previously Birds Eye Iglo) on its multi-million pound logistics contract with DHL, as well as its frozen food warehousing arrangements with Partner Logistics; our innovative, specialist team ensured that the arrangements were structured to protect our client’s commercial interests.
- Serving as counsel to a global food and confection company in multiple class actions commenced across Canada alleging price-fixing in respect of sales of chocolate confectionary products, including cross-border issues arising out of parallel US class actions, and in a related criminal investigation by the Competition Bureau.
- Advising Weetabix, a global breakfast cereal brand with a presence in more than 80 countries, on its global intellectual property mandate.
- Advising United Biscuits, owner of worldwide brands such as McVities and Carrs, on a wide range of issues, such as the purchase of a West African biscuit manufacturer and distributor.
The Gowling WLG Food & Beverage Group is here to help your business succeed. To learn more, please reach out to us.