Insolvency cases often involve complex and constantly evolving legal issues, so you need an adviser who not only understands the law and how it affects your situation, but also delivers practical, commercial solutions. By getting to know you and understanding your situation quickly, we’ll act as an extension of your team.
We specialise in complex, high-profile and confidential restructurings and advisory work. Our commercial perspective on legal issues is combined with first-class client service, speed of response and an ability to anticipate issues.
Using the talents and skills of our most senior and experienced team members, we tackle the most challenging issues faced by our clients. Our holistic approach combines expertise in areas such as real estate, labour law and tax to achieve optimal solutions.
Our services include:
- Advising lenders and other stakeholders on distressed and recovery situations
- Bankruptcy and liquidation
- CCAA and BIA proposal
- Corporate restructuring
- Creditor, supplier and customer negotiations
- Directors' liability and duties (including independent advice to the board of directors)
- Distressed M&A transactions (including due diligence on the target)
- Early-stage financial and operational restructurings enforcing guarantees and security
- Forbearance and accommodation arrangements
- Insolvency risks in structured transactions
- Interim and permanent financing solutions
- Lender liability issues
- Regulatory compliance
- Structuring and executing sales process
With legal professionals in Canada, UK, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, we’ve developed a broad practice with a high level of expertise in multi-jurisdictional, cross-border insolvencies and restructurings, and act for lenders and other creditors, debtors, court appointed officers, interim lenders (DIP financing) and purchasers (distressed M&A transactions).
Our experience spans the broadest cross-section of industries, notably: automotive, agriculture, aquaculture, aviation, bottling, care homes, construction, financial services, food and beverage, healthcare, hospitality, housing, media, mining and resources, pensions, plastics, professional services, recreational products, real estate, retail, shipping/logistics and telecom.
We also assist in dealing with intellectual property rights in restructuring situations, helping you to minimise the risks and ensuring that these rights are managed properly.
Gowling WLG can help you weather the pressures and complexities that apply to restructurings and insolvencies, protect your brand and bring about the best possible outcome. Please contact a member of our team to learn more.