How has the patent landscape changed over the last 40 years and how has this impacted IP case law globally?
In the latest podcast in our 'In Conversation with Gowling WLG' series, global intellectual property partner Gordon Harris speaks to the Right Honourable Professor Sir Robin Jacob - a veritable legend of the IP world.
In the first half of this special two-part episode, we delve deep into the world of patents, exploring some of Sir Robin's most important and challenging cases over an illustrious career spanning 40 years.
In part one, we explore:
- Sir Robin's route to the Patent Bar, from Cambridge graduate to career litigator, reaching the post of Lord Justice of the Court of Appeal for England and Wales;
- precedent-setting and influential cases spanning Sir Robin's renowned career, including musings on Norwich Pharmacal Co. & Others v Customs and Excise Commissioners , and the changing nature of IP law;
- Sir Robin's judicial career at the forefront of patents, his most difficult cases and preparation for trial, and thoughts from the sharp end of IP disputes;
- lecturing, authorship and knowledge sharing, to support the next generation of patent lawyers; and
- much more.
In part two, Gordon Harris continues his conversation with the Right Honourable Professor Sir Robin Jacob, as the pair talk:
- Sir Robin's Professorship at University College London, and what he is seeking to achieve in his post;
- patents post-Brexit and the survival of the European judicial collaboration following Britain's departure from the EU;
- opportunities for the next generation of intellectual property lawyers entering patent litigation;
- the influence of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in IP and how AI is changing the approach to copyright and patents; and
- much more.
In Conversation with Gowling WLG
Our 'In Conversation' series delves into the world of intellectual property, speaking with leading figures in industry. Throughout the series, we build a picture of how the IP world works, gathering insight into the latest trends and developments.
Missed the earlier episodes? Listen to:
Register for updates from our intellectual property team to receive the series direct to your inbox, as well as the latest market insights from Gowling WLG's leading IP professionals.
Gowling WLG Annual Patents Review
Our highly anticipated annual review of UK patent judgments is available now!
'Swings and Roundabouts', Gordon Harris' comprehensive annual review of patent case law, is your complete guide to the most important, industry-influencing UK patent judgments in 2020.
Gordon offers his expert view on the biggest decisions of 2020, as well as noting trends and the cases to watch out for in 2021.
Download our 'Swings and Roundabouts' Annual Patent Review report.