Alex Jay is a dispute resolution partner specialising in corporate and commercial litigation. He has particular expertise advising on corporate disputes arising from mergers and acquisitions, shareholder matters, warranty breaches, completion accounts disputes, directors' duties and other associated points arising from corporate activity. He also has significant experience advising on disputes with an international aspect, coordinating with lawyers in multiple jurisdictions to implement strategies to resolve issues effectively and efficiently.
Alex's other area of specialist expertise is in fraud and insolvency litigation matters, and he is well known for his work in this area. In that regard, Alex is qualified as a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). He sits as a Board member of the ACFE UK, being the UK branch of the global anti-fraud organisation. He is also a member of the Fraud Advisory Panel.
Additionally, Alex also lectures frequently and provides training on a number of litigation, fraud and insolvency topics. Recent speaking engagements include: BACEE Conference (Bratislava); DT Fraud Conference (London); Offshore Alert (London); FraudNet (Miami); Gowling WLG in house counsel seminars, London and Birmingham.
Alex has experience acting for a wide range of clients, including governments, public bodies, corporates, individuals, family offices, financial institutions and insolvency practitioners and officeholders. Alex has led a number of successful cases on behalf of his clients, securing the recovery of many millions in the process. Alex's approach to litigation often secures results through settlement, but in recent times he has been successful on two matters that proceeded to full trials, involving multiple issues and witnesses. Alex and his team managed to secure orders in his clients' favour on both.
- Advising major global multinational, headquartered in France and the USA, in connection with a £100m dispute and internal investigation concerning litigation brought by a German real estate fund. The litigation concerned liability of the client following a failed attempt to divest itself of an onerous asset. The claim ultimately settled, following which recovery actions against a number of entities and individuals, including professional (Big Four) advisors, followed.
- Advising major UAE based retail and distribution entity in connection with misappropriation of monies and assets within the corporate group. The matter includes issues arising in the UAE, UK, Cyprus, Russia, and other locations. It progressed to a full seven day trial in the High Court, ultimately resolved in the client's favour.
- Advising UK company established as an SPV to hold and manage a multi-million pound stake in a major Russian insurance undertaking. The matter concerned issues between competing shareholders, and allegations of unfair prejudice and fraud.
- Advising liquidators of UK entity involved in multi-million pound VAT carousel fraud operation. The matter included bringing claims in the UK and Curacao, and resulted in substantial recoveries for the liquidation estate.
- Advising financial services arm of major UAE sovereign wealth fund, in connection with a substantial dispute concerning rights in an aircraft. The matter resulted in proceedings in the Court of Appeal, and ultimately a settlement was achieved.
- Advising major mining and natural resources fund on issues of suspected fraud and corruption in relation to a mining operation in Tanzania. Issues arose concerning asset and cash misappropriation. Work was conducted alongside forensic accountants engaged to identify and establish the extent of the fraud.
- Advising major multi-billion pound tech/health product distributor in connection with a long running dispute with minority shareholders. Numerous issues have been addressed, including consequential disputes arising from the acquisition of the minority shareholders' business, allegations of unfair prejudice, and technical disputes on shareholder rights under the CA2006.
- Advising high-net-worth UAE based individual in connection with a dispute over the ownership of a £4m UK property. The matter proceeded to a seven day trial in the UK, ultimately leading to the opponents abandoning the claim on the last day of trial in the face of the evidence presented against them.
- Advising the joint liquidators of Stanford International Bank following the collapse of Allen Stanford's fraudulent Ponzi scheme empire, in a team of lawyers from the USA, the BVI, Canada, and Switzerland. This included assisting with a dispute between the liquidators and the US Department of Justice in connection with Stanford bank's UK assets.
- Advising major UK and European property investment fund in connection with a high value and complex dispute over a service charge reconciliation and completion accounts exercise, following the acquisition of a c40 property portfolio. The dispute led to the appointment of experts under an expert determination procedure.
- Advising high-end BVI leisure and resorts fund, with a c£1bn asset portfolio across multiple jurisdictions, in connection with a dispute between members of the board and activist shareholders. The matter ultimately led to the departure of a board member and settlement with the shareholder.
- Undertaking an investigation into a highly complex suspected multi-million creditor fraud, including issues arising in the UK, Greece, and Jersey. Numerous court applications on a range of issues including access to document and privilege followed. The matter also includes a number of issues concerning the legitimacy of a number of offshore trusts.
- Advising Brazilian clients on a fraud investigation and asset recovery project relating to corporate asset-stripping and dissipation, with a value in excess of £100 million.
- Advising a private investor group (through their family office) on the successful recovery of investments made in certain fraudulent property development entities, including obtaining worldwide freezing injunctions in London, Jersey, the British Virgin Islands and Geneva.
- Advising major healthcare operator on an internal ghost employee fraud. Also advising the same entity on UK Bribery Act issues.
- Advising major green energy PLC in connection with an interest rate hedging product, including associated litigation and advice concerning exit options.
- Advising Brazilian bank operating in the UK and across Europe in connection with a dispute with one of its key suppliers. The dispute was resolved successfully through mediation.