Andrew Lawton Smith
Andrew Lawton Smith acts as a trusted business (and legal) adviser to entrepreneurs and owners of private businesses, using his first-hand experience as a successful entrepreneur and commercial lawyer. He leads our focused offer to these clients as Head of Enterprise Services.
Following 20 years as a private company and private equity M&A partner/lawyer, Andy spent the years from 2009 to 2013 running a high growth and award-winning data management software company. This hands-on experience gives him a unique ability to use his legal and business skills and experience to help entrepreneurs identify and overcome the challenges they face and build profitable and valuable enterprises.
He advises on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, share and other team incentives, management succession planning, asset protection and value realisation as well as personal and family tax considerations.
In addition to technology and professional services sectors, Andy has first-hand experience in retail and leisure; financial services and fintech; housebuilding and construction; aerospace, automotive and manufacturing; food and drink; and business support services.
Andy takes particular pride in helping the entrepreneur owners of Riviera Travel, Dunlop Aircraft Tyres, Bristan, Kennet Equipment Leasing and Alstec Group build their businesses and then achieve very strong realisations of their investments.
His most challenging role was to act individually for all 65 directors of the Ranks Hovis McDougall group on its acquisition from Tomkins plc by Doughty Hanson.
Andy acts for a significant number of UK private businesses, entrepreneurs and families. These relationships are generally confidential.
- For the owning family and senior managers on the sale of GSF Car Parts to HgCapital
- For the owning family on the sale of Riviera Travel to Phoenix Private Equity
- For the owning managers of Kennet Equipment Leasing on its sale to STAR Capital
- For the co-owner of Formax (UK) on its joint venture with Hexcel Inc.
- For management on the IBO of Phones4U
- For the owning family on the sale of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres to AAC Capital
- For Haldex of the purchase of Concentric
- For management and Barclays Private Equity on the purchase of Fosbel Inc from Foseco
- For management and Dunedin on their acquisition of C6 Solutions from Arch Chemicals Inc
- For the sellers and 3i on the sale of Bristan to Masco Corporation
- For the sellers and Gresham on the sale of Alstec Group to Babcock International plc
- For all group directors on the IBO of Ranks Hovis McDougall by Doughty Hanson