Andrew Lawton Smith
Andy acts as a trusted business (and legal) adviser to entrepreneurs, owners and managers of private businesses, using his first-hand experience as a successful entrepreneur and commercial lawyer. He leads our focused offer to these clients as Head of Enterprise Services.
Following 20 years as a private company and private equity M&A partner/lawyer, Andy spent the years from 2009 to 2013 running a high growth and award-winning data management software company. This hands-on experience gives him a unique ability to use his legal and business skills and experience to help entrepreneurs identify and overcome the challenges they face and build profitable and valuable enterprises.
He advises on company sales, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, share and other team incentives, management succession planning, asset protection and value realisation, as well as personal and family tax considerations.
In addition to technology and professional services sectors, Andy has first-hand experience in retail and leisure; financial services and fintech; housebuilding and construction; aerospace, automotive and manufacturing; food and drink; and business support services.
Andy takes particular pride in helping the entrepreneur owners of Aston Manor, Riviera Travel, ReBOUND Returns, Oxbotica, Dunlop Aircraft Tyres, Bristan, Kennet Equipment Leasing, Alstec Group and a range of other successful companies build their businesses and then achieve very strong realisations of their hard work and insightful investment .
Andy acts for a significant number of UK private businesses, entrepreneurs and families. These ongoing relationships are generally confidential.
Andy acted for:
- The owning family and management team on the sale of Aston Manor to Agrial's subsidiary, Eclor
- The entrepreneur owners of ReBOUND Returns on a minority stake to the Business Growth Fund PLC
- The owners and the Company on a fund raising for Oxbotica, a driverless technology software spin-out from Oxford University
- Ladbrokes plc and Coral Group on the sale of 360 local betting offices to Bet Fred and others
- The owning entrepreneurs of the leading national eating disorders clinic, Newbridge House, to Schöen Klinik
- The owning family and senior managers on the sale of GSF Car Parts to HgCapital
- The owning family on the sale of Riviera Travel to Phoenix Private Equity
- The owning managers of Kennet Equipment Leasing on its sale to STAR Capital
- The co-owner of Formax (UK) on its joint venture with, and subsequent sale to, Hexcel Inc.
- Management on the IBO of Phones4U
- The owning family on the sale of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres to AAC Capital
- Haldex AB on the purchase of Concentric
- Management and Barclays Private Equity (now Equistone) on the purchase of Fosbel Inc from Foseco
- Management and Dunedin on their acquisition of C6 Solutions from Arch Chemicals Inc
- The management sellers and 3i on the sale of Bristan to Masco Corporation
- The management sellers and Gresham on the sale of Alstec Group to Babcock International plc
- All group directors on the IBO of Ranks Hovis McDougall by Doughty Hanson