Annabel Heath help clients to foresee and resolve property related disputes while maintaining the profitability of their real estate assets.
Annabel is a property litigation associate, predominantly advising property clients (including social housing providers, pension funds and developers) who find themselves in the midst of a dispute. Solving an issue before it even gets off the ground can be a crucial time and budget saver for her clients, and she also regularly helps problem solve potentially contentious concerns that arise during property transactions, such as when seeking vacant possession on development sites.
Combining commercial pragmatism with an extremely sound knowledge base, Annabel recognises that property dispute resolution is often a matter of good asset management with a contentious slant. Her focus is grounded in assisting her clients to find the most commercial decision for their property so that they can continue to maximise the overall profitability of their real estate investment.
Annabel is also very keen on advocacy. Being originally was called to the bar and then cross-qualified, means Annabel brings a different perspective to a problem. She is always thinking about what we will be saying in court and visualising what our final case would be, as it can add new elements to a conversation even when that isn't the solution we are heading for.
Being part of the team in our successful Court of Appeal case (Sanneh v SSWP and others  EWCA Civ 49) regarding Zambrano carers. The case and the subject matter was very high profile, with very wide implications across the social assistance sector - it's an extremely complicated area of public law principles and how they should apply to those on the margins of society. Although we were acting for the London Borough of Croydon, the result applied to many of our clients across the firm, which made it even more gratifying.
Another would be recently acting for a pension fund developing an industrial park, helping them to agree the surrender of management leases to enable a site to be developed. At the start of the process there were six tenants objecting, and we negotiated our way to agreement with all of them without any extra expense for our client. It was really fulfilling for Annabel to get everyone to that point of agreement, allowing the transaction to go ahead.
- Acting for a pension fund regarding a high-value rent dispute at a shopping centre.
- Successfully acting for the London Borough of Croydon in the Court of Appeal in Sanneh v SSWP and others  EWCA Civ 49 (the Zambrano Carers case).
- Assisting a well-known retail chain in agreeing a series of assignments of leases, as part of a major real estate disposal programme.
- Advising a social landlord on vacant possession of a mixed use block, to enable a high-profile London development to go ahead.
- Acting for a property developer in the purchase of a mixed use block, including devising a complex and co-ordinated vacant possession strategy.
- Acting for a client in a very high-profile property partnership dispute.
- Advising a commercial landlord on forfeiture of leases.
All manner of clients with property disputes, and property clients with disputes.