Céline Bey is an expert in intellectual property (IP) and information technology (IT) with almost 20 years of experience.
She has broad legal expertise in all fields of IP (trademarks, patents, design, software and copyright), IT (data protection and domain names) and in unfair competition.
Céline works with a large range of industry sectors such as luxury goods and retail, technology and, in particular, the internet, pharmaceuticals and health, manufacturing and automotive.
Appearing before the French courts has enabled Céline to forge a reputation for excellence, speed and determination. She has a deep rooted understanding of French litigation procedure and has become recognised as a major player in the French market for trademarks, patents and for handling complex pan-European litigation and disputes concerning the internet.
Céline also assists clients in all aspects of non-contentious IP. She has longstanding experience in the management and enforcement of IP rights including trademark clearance, risk assessment, oppositions and settlement agreements. Céline is also well practised in negotiating technological partnership agreements.
Céline has been consistently ranked as a top lawyer and is recommended by Legal 500.
Clients praise Céline's responsiveness and say that she is "thoughtful and knowledgeable".
After studying French law at the Sorbonne as part of her initial degree, Céline completed a Diplôme d'Etudes Supérieures Spécialisées in Intellectual Property and Information Technology at the University of Paris XI in 1996 and graduated from the Paris Political Sciences Institute. She was admitted to the French Bar in 1998.
Céline speaks fluent French and English.
She has substantial experience in IP litigation, with an emphasis on trademarks and patents (including pharmaceuticals and life sciences) and disputes relating to online content.
Céline's experience includes:
- Representing a leading internet company in complex trademark litigation before the French courts, regarding some of their core new services;
- Representing the worldwide leader in the car rental market and a major US dating website in the Supreme Court on trademark infringement matters, following the establishment of those clients' businesses in France;
- Assisting and representing a leading French player in the cosmetics industry in various trademark litigation matters, including pan-European litigation;
- Successfully representing a major French manufacturer of professional electrical equipment in high value patent litigation before the French courts;
- Advising pharmaceutical companies on multi-jurisdictional regulatory issues and patent litigation;
- Representing a US biotechnology company in litigation regarding patented software;
- Advising various internet service providers as to liability, including advising a major search engine and a major online video platform on disputes concerning copyright infringement, trademark infringement, privacy and online advertising/referencing;
- Representing and negotiating on behalf of service providers in various cases against French companies and public organisations.
Céline is a member of AIPPI, INTA, MARQUES and EPLAW (European Patent Lawyers Association).