Chris Hunt is a leading real estate lawyer, with over 20 years' experience. Chris joined the firm in 1998 and was made a partner in 2001.
Chris leads Gowling WLG's commercial development and investment team, which advises developers and investors across all commercial and mixed use asset classes.
Chris also leads the firm's retail and leisure sector team in the UK, which advises retail, leisure and hotel investors and operators in all legal areas relevant to their businesses.
Chris is client relationship partner for one of the firm's largest real estate developer clients and for one of the UK's most upmarket and iconic retailers.
Chris has a broad real estate practice and has particular experience in advising corporate occupiers. He and his team help clients to acquire, dispose of and manage occupational real estate in an efficient, cost-effective way, by first building the best possible understanding of the strategic commercial drivers behind every transaction.
For many businesses, real estate is an important issue - in some cases, in the retail and leisure sectors, for example, it is strategically critical. Chris and his team work with clients across a number of sectors to understand the place of real estate in clients' businesses and advice is always given against that backdrop.
Much of Chris's work is in the retail sector and he has worked on a number of fast-paced acquisition and disposal programmes. Often Chris is working to meet and exceed acquisition targets set at senior level and announced to the stock exchange. Delivering on those programmes is at the heart of the client's business objectives.
Whilst Chris's main specialism is retail and leisure, where he has 20 years' experience, he also advises corporate occupiers in other sectors, including professional services firms, manufacturing and engineering companies. Because of the nature of real estate, Chris often finds himself working with like-minded professionals, whose focus is on extracting the most value out of real estate.
- advising a global coffee retailer on over 150 store acquisitions in the UK
- advising one of the UK's most prestigious and iconic department stores in relation to substantial refinancing and restructuring projects, and in relation to taking and letting retail and restaurant space
- acting for some of the firm's key clients in relation to £multi-million rent office leases
- advising a Singaporean investor in relation to investing in UK real estate
- acting on the sale of a number of manufacturing sites for an iconic consumer brand, for trade use and re-development
- advising on the sale and leaseback of the head office of a global engineering and project management consultancy business
- acting for a retail bank on the high street on their store acquisition programme, from their inception, and on estate management issues
- advising on the sale and leaseback of a sizeable portfolio of properties for a corporate occupier client
- advising on a number of hotel management agreements of iconic city centre hotels, both in the UK and abroad.