Helen Arthur is a London based Principal Associate who specialises in helping construction and infrastructure clients avoid disputes by focusing on finding solutions in a pragmatic and commercial way.
Helen acts on behalf of employers, consultants, contractors and sub-contractors, public bodies and tenants on a wide variety of contentious construction issues. She regularly acts for parties in adjudications, mediations and claims in the Technology and Construction Court.
A substantial period on secondment with a world leading infrastructure provider, assisting them to resolve a long-running multi-party PFI dispute, means that Helen has a consummate understanding of the effect such issues can have at an on-the-ground level.
More recently, Helen has provided bespoke training to a variety of clients on the findings following the Grenfell Tower Inquiry and continues providing support to clients on this.
Helen has wide-ranging experience on a number of contentious construction issues including:
- Spending a considerable period on secondment, assisting a client to resolve a multi-party PFI dispute. Helen supported the contracts manager on site, the in-house legal team, as well as the claims team, giving her expert knowledge of acting as a first point of contact for legal queries and as a sounding board for issues from both a commercial and risk management perspective.
- Acting for an investment fund in a dispute concerning cladding on a large mixed use commercial and residential building
- Advising a contractor concerning fire safety issues at an apartment block
- Advising an investment fund on its prospective purchase with specific focus on the fire safety risks pertaining to those prospective assets
- Acting for an investment fund relating to disputes involving defects to the construction of concrete slab and foundation works at a commercial shed
- Acting for an Employer involving delays and defects arising from the construction and fit out of its head office in London resulting in multiple adjudications.
- Acted for Volkswagen UK Limited in disputes arising out of the construction of the largest Audi retail building in the world in West London.
Helen continues to act for developers, employers and investors on a number of defect disputes including acting for the successful party in Commercial Management (Investments) Ltd v Mitchell Design and Construct Ltd & Anor  EWHC 76 (TCC)
Helen is also part of the dedicated group of specialists advising clients and all professions on building safety particularly following the Grenfell Tower tragedy. Helen has helped clients including investors, contractors and landlords navigate the findings from the Grenfell Tower Inquiry offering client-focused commercial advice. Helen is currently acting on a number of these cases both at pre-action and in proceedings advising senior management and operational teams on how best to proceed within a changing legal framework.
Helen is a member of the TeCSA 10s committee.