Jamie Rowlands is a partner who has had 15 years of experience enforcing and protecting client's valuable intellectual property rights; in particular patents and brands. He is client focussed and always strives to get to the nub of an issue to deliver the most relevant and commercial advice.
His work has always been internationally-focussed and includes acting on global disputes involving parties from the UK, Europe, USA, China, Japan and Africa. He is first rate at managing large teams (including lawyers from different jurisdictions) to provide a cost effective and streamlined service for clients. Jamie combines in-depth technical expertise with broad sector experience, work includes acting for clients in healthcare, aviation, advanced manufacturing and hi-tech sectors.
Jamie has experience in all areas of contentious IP matters, and has acted for clients on patents, trade marks and anti-counterfeiting in the Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court, High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and the European Patent Office. He also leads multi-jurisdictional disputes for a broad range of international clients. Jamie has led cross-firm teams in a number of international arbitrations (both institutional and ad-hoc). These are complex in nature, high value and involve dealing with technical subject matter.
Jamie is currently based in the firm's representative office in Guangzhou in his role of Chief Representative Officer. Whilst he maintains his UK practice, he works with his team in China on both transactional and litigation services, with a paticular focus on intellectual property related issues. He has very extensive experience of all aspects of the court system in Mainland China and understands the complexities and cultural challenges well.
Client feedback praises his technical excellence and ability to deliver strategic, commercial and no nonsense solutions in a transparent and friendly manner.
Jamie has been named as a Managing Intellectual Property Star in 2014 and 2015.
There is no doubt that Jamie is a technically excellent lawyer. This case deals in complex technical issues and I am impressed with the way Jamie has got stuck in to properly understanding the business and technology. I find his straight talking no-nonsense commercial advice very useful. He will always take the time to properly explain his thinking and strategy...His approachability is also noteworthy – issues are debated and different views aired. However, given the trust we have in Jamie, we give him the final word on how best to take the case forward".
Chief Operating Officer of existing client, October 2014
Jamie was recognised as both a 'trade mark star' and 'patent star' in the IP Stars guide 2017.
Patent litigation in technical areas (both offensive and defensive) including Mobile telecoms (2G, 3G, LTE and TETRA); software issues (protocol stacks, financial services (e.g. FX trading), social media); consumer goods (printers, fishing reels); medical devices (rapid assay technologies); aviation; wound dressings; offshore oil & gas exploration and production (including downhole tools); and manufacturing.
All types of brand portfolio advice including audit, clearance, licensing and strategic litigation (both offensive and defensive) for clients in the retail, entertainment, software, telecoms, manufacturing and media sectors.
- Advising a manufacturer of aircraft seats on its defence to a patent infringement claim. The case went before the UK Supreme Court which found in our client's favour, reversing more than 100 years of case law and saving the client from a claim of up to £49 million.
- Acting for a client in the aviation sector in an ICC arbitration. The subject matter concerns the alleged misuse of confidential information in a very high value and complex claim.
- Successfully acting for a US technology company in an UNCITRAL arbitration. It was a high value and complex contractual dispute concerning the scope of the patent licence and patent royalty payment provisions in relation to specific aspects of 3G mobile telephony.
- Acting for a wound care company and successfully defending a patent infringement claim and counter-claiming for invalidity in the English High Court.
- Successfully acting for a large UK telecommunications company in a number of separate UK trade mark disputes (various).
- Advising a leading software designer on its global anti-counterfeiting enforcement programme