Janet Nystedt is an associate in Gowling WLG's Calgary office who has been assisting Canadian and U.S. clients for over a decade in the areas of employment and labour law.
Janet’s practice is underpinned by strategic, business-minded advice, with a significant focus on collaboration and consensus-building. She takes particular pride in developing partnerships with her clients that stand the test of time.
Over the course of her career, Janet has represented clients before the Alberta courts, Alberta Labour Board and various negotiation and arbitration venues. She routinely advises clients on complex human resources matters, organizational changes and all aspect of workplace law, including the following:
- Employment and independent contractor agreements
- Workplace investigations
- Corporate reorganization and merger & acquisition workforce considerations
- Privacy and OHS compliance
- Corporate protection agreements (fiduciary duty, confidentiality, non-competition and non-solicitation obligations)
- Labour relations
- Workplace policies and incentive compensation plans
- Workplace dispute resolution (litigation and mediation)
- Human rights and harassment issues
- Executive compensation
- Performance management and termination advice
Working closely with clients of all sizes, Janet offers knowledge and expertise across a breadth of industry sectors, including non-profit, public service, hospitality, technology, manufacturing, oil & gas, retail, health care and professional services.
Prior to beginning her legal career, Janet was a high school science teacher; she routinely puts her education skills to work for her clients through workshops, training and speaking engagements. Clients find that her approachable, relaxed style helps cut through legal jargon and reinforce key principles – enabling them to translate the latest legal trends into practical workplace policy and practice.
Outside of her work at the firm, Janet supports her community as a director on not-for-profit entrepreneurial boards, parent volunteer, school fundraiser, Girl Guide leader and soccer coach.