Product liability defence, including medical devices, pharmaceutical products, consumer goods, automobiles and component parts, electrical devices, foods, and natural health products.
Class action defence, including claims related to product liability, pensions, contracts, banking and lending disputes, and securities.
Corporate commercial litigation, including all matters relating to the breach of, or disputes regarding, commercial contracts, lender liability, the rights of debtors/creditors, and multi-jurisdictional disputes involving cross-border matters and dealings with foreign corporations and counsel.
Financial services and capital markets litigation, including 14 years representing Canadian chartered banks and foreign banks.
Directors' and officers' liability, including creditors' claims and shareholders' disputes.
Securities litigation and regulation, including issuer and investment dealer disclosure and liability, and broker liability.
Recent significant briefs
Product liability defence
- Lead counsel for a major international furnace product manufacturer. acting as co-ordinating counsel for all North American product liability proceedings
- Senior member of medical product class action defence team that successfully defeated national class action certification
- Counsel defending national product liability class actions for manufacturers of hip implants, contact lens solutions, vaccines, diet drugs, pharmaceutical anti-inflammatories, and energy drinks
Bankruptcy and insolvency
- Nortel trial team member with close involvement in trial preparation involving claims and allocation in respect of an estate worth approximately $9 billion
- Counsel to the Monitor in the Sino-Forest CCAA proceedings
- Lead counsel defending a claim of negligence against an international online stock and commodities trading platform
- Lead counsel defending an international mining company in a class action alleging prospectus misrepresentation
- Counsel defending an application involving allegations of international fraud of over $20 million
- Lead class action counsel defending the trustees of a pension plan against allegations arising out of a pension fund shortfall