Before retraining as a lawyer, Richard Smith worked as a management consultant with PwC's Management Consultancy Services division, specialising in the project management of complex IT and business change projects, including IT services and business process outsourcing and ERP solutions, such as Oracle and SAP. During his time at PwC, Richard completed PwC's SAP training academy for the Materials Management (MM) and Sales & Distribution (SD) modules.
Richard has insider knowledge of managing and delivering large IT projects and combines his legal and management consultancy expertise for the benefit of his clients, helping them to "spot the traps", identify and understand the key legal and technical issues and develop appropriate solutions to resolve them.
To complement his legal and IT skills and experience, Richard brings real depth and understanding of the aviation, financial services, retail and technology sectors.
In terms of aviation, Richard has advised a number of international airlines, including Garuda Indonesia, Malaysia Airlines, Norwegian Air Shuttle and a number of other Asian airlines on the complex multi-jurisdictional projects for outsourcing of their passenger services system (PSS) solutions to the likes of Amadeus, HP, Sabre and SITA. Our well-established aviation practice provides great opportunities to work. Richard and his team recently advised on a major international carrier on one of industry's largest outsourcing projects for the provision of PSS solutions and related services and a leading Chinese carrier on a similar project. Richard regularly speaks at T2RL's and Flightglobal's annual PSS conference.
Richard works closely with Chris Hunt and leads our retail work, advising retailers such as Argos on their strategic collaboration with eBay for the provision of the ground-breaking fulfilment marketplace network.
A professional highlight is being appointed to the role of director in 2013.
Richard was recognised in 2017's prestigious Acritas Stars database as a 'star lawyer'.
- Airlines, including Garuda Indonesia, Malaysia Airlines and Norwegian Air Shuttle
- International financial institutions, including Citigroup
- UK and global retailers, including Home Retail Group
Richard has extensive knowledge and experience of outsourcing and complex commercial and technology transactions. He advises both customers and vendors on a wide range of business critical projects, including software development and licensing agreements (such as enterprise-wide resource planning (ERP) applications with the likes of Oracle and SAP), systems implementation and integration agreements using a resourcing models, IT and business process outsourcing agreements and Cloud computing (including IaaS, SaaS and PaaS).
- Advising Chalhoub Group on systems integrator agreement with Accenture for the international implementation and roll-out of Oracle ERP software and subsequent support and maintenance agreement.
- Working with Argos on its strategically important pilot agreement with eBay for the establishment and delivery of a new "fulfilment marketplace" network, giving customers the option to buy goods from a selection of eBay retailers and opting to have them delivered to one of Argos's nominated stores.
- Advising A.S. Watson on the contractual arrangements with a number of suppliers engaged in the introduction and on-going administration of their successful Superdrug and Perfume Shop loyalty card schemes.
- Helping a major international carrier based in Asia to develop and negotiate its contract for one of industry's largest outsourcing projects for the provision of passenger services solutions. The client chose Richard because of his industry knowledge, commercial approach and track record in delivering mission-critical projects for the likes of Garuda Indonesia, Malaysia Airlines, Norwegian Air Shuttle and Olympic Airlines.
- Advising SuperGroup plc on its contract for the provision of an integrated point of sale and merchandising management system solution by BT Expedite.
- Advising a leading wealth management company on the second generation outsourcing of its administration services to a major service provider. Richard worked closely with the client to develop the contractual framework for the transition of the administration services from the incumbent service provider to the new provider and the subsequent development and implementation of a new technology platform for the administration of the client's products.