Robyn is a construction disputes specialist and is experienced in the preparation of adjudication, arbitration and litigation proceedings. She also has excellent experience of the work required to achieve settlement of disputes, whether through early settlement negotiations, mediation or expert determination. She advises developers, contractors, sub-contractors, consultants and specialists in the infrastructure, public utilities, general contracting, defence, hospitality and real estate sectors.
Robyn has been in the gulf region for over six years where she has gained first-hand knowledge in the application of pertinent local laws in the construction and built environment sector. Robyn has acted on a number of high value arbitrations in a variety of gulf jurisdictions including Dubai, Abu Dhabi and RAK in the UAE, Oman, Bahrain and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Robyn regularly provides tailored contract review, interpretation and management advice to clients in respect of international standard form and bespoke construction and consultancy contracts. This includes advice relating to statutory, procedural and commercial considerations particular to the region. She frequently produces pre-arbitral advice and legal analysis reports utilised by clients to strengthen their position within settlement negotiations.
Robyn has a degree in Arabic and Islamic Studies and a Masters in Islamic Law. Coupled with her regional experience, she provides insightful and constructive advice to clients.
Examples of Robyn's experience are:
- Advising a leading local contractor in respect of its claims against a government entity worth circa US$14 million, relating to a contract for the construction of a landmark recreational sporting and training facility in Dubai. The dispute concerns issues relating incomplete design and specifications, defective workmanship, variations, extension of time and prolongation costs.
- Advising a leading specialist equipment manufacturer in connection with a dispute concerning heavy duty lifting equipment at an international oil and gas fabrication facility in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising a MENA private investment fund in relation to a real estate dispute concerning service charges under the laws and regulations of ownership of jointly owned real property.
- Advising a world leading maritime facility in relation to potential claims under a supply and installation agreement with a global machinery and engineering applications supplier, headquartered in Europe.
- Represented a prominent Omani developer of a major ITC project in respect of a US$150 million defects claim against the architect and engineer. The contract was subject to the laws of the Sultanate of Oman and the Oman Law of Arbitration.
- Represented a major Bahraini developer in respect of a dispute concerning claims worth US$75 million. The alleged claims related to an extension of time relying on some 44 individual delay events and prolongation costs. The contract was subject to the laws of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Advised a power and water plant operating company in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on a number of claims against the EPC contractor and the O&M contractor for the plant. The contract was subject to the laws of England and Wales.