Sean Adams is a principal associate, based in Birmingham, working in the commercial litigation group. His practice focuses on corporate and commercial disputes, including serious and complex fraud claims, and breach and termination of contract claims. He has particular expertise in the automotive and financial services sectors, and has significant experience handling supply chain disputes (across a number of sectors, including the automotive and food & beverage sectors).
Sean also acts for clients in relation to public procurement claims and judicial review proceedings.
He focuses on helping clients analyse risks and their legal options in order to resolve disputes with minimal impact on their ongoing business, whether through litigation, arbitration, expert determination or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Although disputes and disagreements are an inevitable part of corporate life, Sean's aim is to help clients obtain an efficient and cost-effective resolution which limits disruption to their underlying business where possible. This includes early assessment of the potential risks and costs. When formal litigation or arbitration is required, Sean is well-versed in the associated tactical and procedural requirements and has experience in supporting clients throughout the process, whether before the English Courts or international arbitral tribunals to secure their desired objective. He also has a wealth of experience advising in relation to applications for urgent injunctive relief (especially in the automotive sector).
Sean represents a broad range of clients, based in both the UK and internationally, including private individuals, SMEs and multinational corporations, across a number of different industry sectors. Sean also regularly represents OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers in the automotive sector, and large banking and private equity clients in the financial services sector. Sean is a member of the Gowling WLG Nordic desk (with a focus on Finland and Iceland), participating in regular trips to the region.
Sean's key focus is on ensuring that he provides the highest levels of service to his clients. The fact that there are always interesting and unique aspects to every case, which need to be analysed to assess the potential impact on a particular client's business and devise the best way to proceed, is what keeps him constantly engaged and excited about working in this area.
- Acting for multiple defendants in successfully defending a high-profile and multi-faceted claim (seeking damages in excess of £100 million) including allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, conspiracy, unlawful interference with economic interests, intimidation and blackmail.
- Acting for automotive OEMs in relation to supply chain disputes with Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers, including action to secure continued critical supply of parts required to keep production lines running.
- Acting for a private equity client in relation to claims arising from breaches of warranty post-acquisition.
- Acting for a large listed company in relation to an expert determination for the recovery of damages from a logistics supplier.
- Acting for a charitable body in relation to its defence of a high value, and high profile, public procurement challenge relating to a contract for the long-term provision of services in the entertainment and events sector.
- Acting for defendants on the UK aspects of a multi-jurisdictional dispute (involving proceedings in the UK, Singapore, California and Texas) arising out of allegations of fraud, and relating to the ownership of classic cars worth in excess of $50 million.
- Acting for a car manufacturer in relation to various disputes with dealers in its network. The manufacturer required advice as to its termination rights and litigation options.
- Acting for a client in the energy sector in relation to disputes arising out of a share purchase agreement.
- Acting for a financial services client in relation to various disputes (including the enforcement of security and recovery of unpaid sums) and regulatory matters.
- Acting for various UK-based and international organisations in relation to contractual disputes (including in relation to contractual interpretation and termination provisions).
- Advice to various individual clients in relation to shareholder disputes and unfair prejudice petitions.