Sean Adams is a principal associate, based in Birmingham, working in the commercial litigation group. His practice focuses on corporate and commercial disputes, including serious and complex fraud claims, and he works increasingly in the automotive sector. He focuses on helping clients resolve disputes with minimal impact on their ongoing business, whether through litigation, arbitration or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
Although disputes and disagreements are an inevitable part of corporate life, Sean's aim is to help clients obtain an efficient and cost-effective resolution which limits disruption to their underlying business. This includes early assessment of the potential risks and costs associated with pursuing litigation or arbitration and advising on various forms of ADR. When formal litigation or arbitration is required, Sean is well-versed in the associated tactical and procedural requirements and has experience in supporting clients throughout the process, whether before the English Courts or international arbitral tribunals to secure their desired objective.
Sean represents a broad range of clients, based in both the UK (including a number of clients from across the Midlands) and internationally, including private individuals, SMEs and multinational corporations, across a number of different industry sectors.
Sean's key focus is on ensuring that he provides the highest levels of service to his clients. The fact that there are always interesting and unique aspects to every case, which need to be analysed to assess the potential impact on a particular client's business and devise the best way to proceed, is what keeps him constantly engaged and excited about working in this area.
- Acting for multiple defendants in successfully defending a high-profile and multi-faceted claim including allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, conspiracy, unlawful interference with economic interests, intimidation and blackmail. The claim was for in excess of £100 million and was determined following a nine week trial in the High Court. Sean also assisted the defendants in overturning injunctive relief against them in the Court of Appeal, and defending an application for permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Acting for defendants on the UK aspects of a multi-jurisdictional dispute (involving proceedings in the UK, Singapore, California and Texas) arising out of allegations of fraud, and relating to the ownership of classic cars worth in excess of $50 million.
- Acting for defendants in multiple claims, including allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of agency, relating to dozens of high value classic car transactions. Several of the claims have stated values in excess of £5m.
- Acting for a car manufacturer in relation to various disputes with dealers in its network. The manufacturer required advice as to its termination rights and litigation options.
- Acting for a financial services client in relation to various disputes and regulatory matters.
- Acting for UK-based and international organisations in relation to contractual disputes (including in relation to contractual interpretation and termination provisions).
- Advice to various individual clients in relation to shareholder disputes and unfair prejudice petitions.