Simone Hughes, MBA, CM
Simone Hughes is the director of business development and marketing for Gowling WLG’s Canada and Russia markets. She leads a high-performance team collaboratively to find innovative and mutually valuable ways to provide globally integrated, efficient and effective solutions for clients.
Simone fosters a culture of continuous improvement by seeking out technological and process improvement opportunities. Her depth of strategic and pragmatic leadership centres on empowering and enabling people with the right processes and technology.
Her experience includes:
- Evolving and continuously improving brand, vision, values and positioning
- Synergizing engaged, client-focused teams
- Firm, practice group and individual strategic planning
- Integrating marketing technologies, such as big data/CRM, digital and social media
- Client service initiatives, such as feedback, standards and communications
- Leading-edge business development and marketing training
- Content marketing, thought leadership and client educational programs
- Request for proposal (RFP) programs, policies and procedures
- Public relations programs
Simone has over 25 years of experience working in regional, national and global settings for law firms, banks and an HR consultancy firm. She is a strategic and multicultural communicator, inspiring others to collaborate and achieve client-focused organizational objectives. Simone has written several blogs sharing her insights on business development and marketing in the legal industry for Canadian Lawyer.
Acting as both a mentor and coach, Simone is committed to helping each member of her team develop their skills and work to achieve their goals. As a sessional lecturer at the University of Calgary's Law School, Simone co-created a course designed to provide graduating law students with practical experience in the business of law, personal marketing, business development and client service.
Outside of work, Simone is very involved in giving back to her community. Since 2013, she has volunteered with the Calgary Stampede, sitting on numerous committees. She has also acted as a mentor for Technovation, a non-profit program providing young women worldwide with the opportunity to learn the skills they need to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Simone was also very involved with Skate Canada, where she held various positions, including national judge, volunteer, coach, mentor and regional director.
Simone is fluent in both English and French.