These are challenging times for the public sector, but there is no decrease in the demand for services or expectation of delivery.
At Gowling WLG, we understand these pressures. Our leading professionals have exceptional experience in both the public and private sectors, with a 360-degree perspective that enables us to provide sophisticated legal, regulatory and public policy advice on virtually any matter.
Our clients include all levels of governments and their agencies, trade and professional associations, non-governmental agencies, Crown corporations, utilities, developers and educational institutions, such as schools and universities.
We represent the interests of our clients before public sector and government committees and investigations, government task forces, and at all levels in the national, federal and provincial courts.
Crown Commercial Services (CCS)
Our commitment to the Public Sector, including both Central Government, Public Bodies and Local Government, is reflected in our re-appointment to the CCS RM6179 General Legal Advice Services Framework (Lot 1) and existing appointment to the CCS RM3788 Wider Public Sector Panel under Lot 2a - Full Service in England and Wales.
We are currently advising a broad range of Government functions including the Ministry of Defence, Department for Health and Social Care, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS), The Insolvency Service, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), OFQUAL, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and National Highways.
We support the Government and other public sector bodies across a wide range of specialisms including Commercial Contracts, Complex Projects, Corporate Structures, Inquiries and Judicial Review, IT, Outsourcing, Real Estate, Employment and Pensions, Finance, Public Law and Regulation. We also operate in various sectors including Defence, Energy, Natural Resources, Health & Healthcare, Technology and Life Sciences.
We understand that complex legal issues often need a cross-sector and cross-service approach and we pride ourselves on our ability to combine all of these specialisms as and when necessary to offer a 'one stop shop'. Our deep experience working with Government ensures we can focus and tailor our advice in a manner sensitive to Government requirements.
A number of our lawyers are security cleared at various levels.
If you are an authorised buyer under the RM6179 General Legal Services Framework you can download a copy of our supplier prospectus.
If you are an authorised buyer under the RM3788 Wider Public Sector Panel you can download a copy of our supplier prospectus.
Advancing your agenda
Our extensive network of government contacts is a key advantage for industry stakeholders in presenting their concerns to decision makers.
Many of our professionals have held elected office, senior government positions or have contributed to the development of policy, legislation and regulatory regimes. By leveraging our experience, we can help you understand the parliamentary process and how to conduct your business efficiently at every level of government.
We also advise on lobbying compliance and ethical obligations and provide guidance on issues relating to conflict of interest at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.
We understand that complex legal issues often need a cross-sector and cross-service approach and we pride ourselves on our ability to combine all of these specialisms as and when necessary to offer a 'one stop shop'.
Rising to your challenge
By establishing your objectives from the outset, we ensure a successful outcome is achieved. It's how we build lasting relationships with clients.
From reputation management to overhauling service delivery, setting negotiation strategy to project managing deal delivery, defending complex litigation to transferring risk to third parties: we will find the solution.
Sometimes starting with a blank sheet of paper is required. Our original thinking is showcased by award wins for public sector work, ranging from innovative advice on equal pay issues to landmark healthcare transactions.
A law firm you can trust
Delivering savings and efficiencies is a key concern for government bodies. We've acted on significant programmes that have targeted the delivery of savings and efficiencies by restructuring the delivery of services and renegotiating existing contractual arrangements.
Results for clients
- Advising a large Canadian wireless sector client, an international procurement client and an international investment in an M&A regulatory review by Canadian officials.
- Advising Birmingham City Council on the high-profile sale of the NEC Group, supporting around 29,000 jobs and worth more than £2 billion per year to the West Midlands region
- Appointed as one of a limited number of Tier 1 suppliers to the Crown Commercial Service which represents central government bodies on major project procurement
- Advising the UK Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy on the six-year long £11 billion Smart Metering programme; the largest new technology project of its kind in the UK. It involved advising on the regulatory framework necessary for implementation and operation. Advising the UK Ministry of Defence on various aspects of its aircraft carrier, submarine and multi-role combat vehicle projects, and also NATS on the UK air traffic control network
- Advising Sanctuary Housing Association on its £150 million secured bond tap issue, listed on the London Stock Exchange; the largest of its kind, the programme sees the delivery of more than 5,000 affordable new homes across the UK by 2015
- Counsel to Simon & Schuster Canada in its successful negotiations with the Department of Canadian Heritage to obtain an exemption from provisions of the Book Publishing Policy issued under the Investment Canada Act
- Counsel to members of the Ontario Sports Solution consortium, Fengate Capital Management Ltd. and Kenaidan Contracting Ltd on the project to build the Pan Am Games Hamilton Soccer Stadium for the Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
- Counsel to Tarion Warranty Corporation, which administers Ontario's new home warranty program, in a dispute with a home builder before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Advising The Government of Kenya and TradeMark East Africa on the development of a new legislative and regulatory regime for the Kenya Ports Authority, and enabling legislation to utilise PPP as a means of developing the ports sector in Kenya
We want to help you succeed. To learn more about our government affairs services, please contact any member of our team.