FinTech is causing a revolution in the financial services sector. Rapid advances in financial services innovation and technology are creating both opportunities and threats for traditional financial institutions and ambitious startups. Many companies and institutions are struggling to keep pace with the pace of disruptive change - and those that fail to embrace new methods and technologies risk being left behind.
Gowling WLG operates at the forefront of this emerging business landscape, helping companies understand and navigate the complex regulatory and operational challenges FinTech products and technologies bring with them. We apply our creativity, industry knowledge and deep technical experience to help companies navigate the pursuit of unprecedented new opportunities.
Our multi-disciplinary team combines experience in digital banking, mobile wallets, crypto-currency, peer-to-peer lending, equity crowdfunding / online investment platforms, payment apps, robo-advisers and e-commerce, with core competencies in adjacent legal disciplines, such as:
- Financial services and securities regulation
- Fraud detection and deterrence
- Intellectual property
- Anti-money laundering
- Competition & anti-trust
Leaders in blockchain
Blockchain technology is transforming the way we do business, creating significant opportunities for innovation while posing complex regulatory hurdles. Gowling WLG leads the legal services industry in blockchain expertise. We are a co-founder of - and the only international law firm to partner with - the Blockchain Research Institute, and our professionals continue to break new ground in the creation of initial coin offering-based business structures. Our team regularly advises digital wallets, crypto currency exchanges, and investment funds seeking to invest in crypto-currencies or crypto-assets, as well as securities regulators and high-level government officials.
Forging new partnerships
As the financial services landscape changes, new players and new relationships will continue to transform the industry. Companies need a legal partner with the vision, creativity and know-how to bridge gaps between the innovative and the traditional. Leveraging our expertise across a number of legal disciplines and business markets, we help clients forge FinTech partnerships and strategic alliances that help their businesses thrive.
In-depth insurtech expertise
Gowling WLG has advanced experience in advising insurers and service providers in all aspects of insurtech - the use of technology in insurance related processes and transactions. By combining a broad understanding of the underlying technologies with an in-depth knowledge of the regulatory frameworks in which insurance companies operate, our leading technology, insurance and intellectual property professionals provide full-service legal support across the insurtech spectrum.
Client and event highlights
Highlights of our recent blockchain-related client work and events include:
- Advised on the transaction that resulted in the world's first public listing of a blockchain company, bringing BTL Group to market on the TSX-V.
- Counsel to the co-founder of Ethereum, now one of the largest crypto-currencies in the world.
- Acting as lead counsel on a high number of blockchain-focused legal briefs, including listing, initial coin offerings (ICOs), digital wallets, crypto-currency exchanges, patent files and tax opinions.
- Authoring The Law of Blockchain Technology, a definitive book on the emergence and implications of blockchain technology, being written by members of Gowling WLG and slated to be published by Thomson Reuters in 2018.
- Hosted two major blockchain conferences for clients, including a blockchain symposium and a technology primer. Several of our senior partners are regularly called upon to provide keynote presentations on blockchain, particularly in its application within capital markets.
To learn more about how Gowling WLG's FinTech Group can help you succeed, please contact any member of our team.