Gowling WLG's Investment Funds team brings together a wealth of talent covering tax, corporate, finance, regulatory and dispute resolution - the core ingredients that enable it to provide a full legal service to our clients.
Our Investment Funds team is one of the leading advisers to the investment funds sector. We advise on all types of alternative investment funds in the UK and globally, which invest in a variety of asset classes including real estate, private equity, infrastructure, distressed debt, renewable energy and hedge funds.
Quality and innovative thinking ensured that the team was shortlisted in the 2013 and 2014 Funds Team of the Year category at The Lawyer annual legal awards.
Clients include investment trusts and companies, investment managers, fund managers and assets managers, institutional investors, professional investors, wealth managers and family offices, pension providers, lenders, sponsors/nomads and brokers.
We have considerable experience covering all aspects of a fund's lifecycle. We know and understand the current issues facing the market and we advise clients on the best way to deal with them, looking at all the options available. We provide sensible, commercial advice, efficiently, and at a price that works.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Fund formation - including tax and regulatory structuring advice, formation of feeder vehicles, co-investment vehicles, fund manager vehicles, and carried interest vehicles
- Fee structures - including carried interest, promote payments and introduction fees
- Negotiating the terms of investment management agreements, fund management agreements and operator agreements
- Acquisitions and disposals of asset management businesses
- Corporate finance advisory work
- Advising on the range of issues generated by the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and other regulatory and compliance requirements
- Exit arrangements - including IPOs, auctions, and private sales
- Solvency issues, refinancing and complex restructuring
- Specialist EIS fund advice
- Specialist REIT advice
- Specialist VCT advice
- Crowdfunding arrangements
- ISA/SIPP/SSAS regulations, and terms and conditions
- Terms of sale or acquisition of interests in pooled funds, whether as cornerstone investor or otherwise
- Portfolio acquisitions and sales
- Loan agreements and related security terms
- Dispute resolution - including disputes over fee arrangements, conflicts of interest, breach of contract, and fiduciary duties
- Activist shareholders issues
- Conflicts of interest and governance issues
- Custodian agreements
- Prime brokerage agreements and asset swapping
- Assistance with applications for FCA authorisation
- Marketing and passporting
The team includes members and supporters of the Alternative Investment Managers Association, the Investment Property Forum, the British Venture Capital Association, the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment, and the British Property Federation.