Deeply ingrained in all aspects of the alternative investing world, Gowling WLG is at the forefront of a sector that is increasingly global - with fund managers, investors and other market participants seeking out new investment opportunities that address the need for diversified returns on capital.
There's a reason Gowling WLG is the go-to law firm for fund managers, pension funds, sponsors and institutional investors: we offer an exceptional combination of sophisticated expertise and in-depth insight. We've built a reputation as one of Canada's leading fund formation and fund investment teams, and provide ongoing advice at all stages of the fund life cycle.
Applying our deep knowledge of the market and its trends to provide tailored, cost-effective legal advice and superior service, our team has advised on the formation of - and investment in - hundreds of funds across a broad range of areas, such as private equity, real estate, venture capital, infrastructure, distressed investing, hedge funds and other sector and specialty-focused funds.
Breadth of experience
We're here to help you every step of the way. Our team holds broad fund formation and investment expertise, and can leverage its deal experience and best practices to execute your transactions seamlessly. We advise funds and investors at all fund stages, including:
- Fund structuring
- Negotiation and drafting of partnership, trust, management and other principal fund agreements
- Drafting and addressing securities law, tax and other regulatory compliance matters associated with confidential information memoranda and fund marketing documentation
- Fund review and due diligence mandates in support of potential investments
- Negotiating subscription agreements and side letters
- Secondary sale transactions
- Securities law registration matters for fund sponsors
- Advice with respect to fund-level and investor-level issues in connection with acquisitions, financings and co-investments
- Fund wind-up mandates
- Structuring and negotiating acquisitions, both domestic and cross border, from large-cap to mid-market and smaller tuck-in acquisitions
- Drafting and negotiating shareholder, co-investor and other investment agreements
- Secured and unsecured debt financing transactions
- Implementing management incentive mandates, including equity, option and other compensation plans, employment and consulting agreements and related tax-planning and regulatory compliance requirements
- Ongoing governance, management and oversight of portfolio business investments
- Liquidity event transactions, including public and private M&A exits, initial public offerings, reverse take-overs and transactions leading to an exit for fund investors
Downstream investing and portfolio business transactions
We help domestic and global fund managers and investors achieve their investment goals, with a particular focus on downstream investing and portfolio business transactions. Our team advises on all aspects of this dynamic market.
Effective resource management
We're committed to helping you maximize the value and predictability of your legal spend by implementing alternative fee arrangements, offering competitive rates and anticipating costs as far in advance as possible. We keep our core teams small and include specialists on a select, as-needed basis.
Committed to your success
Immersed in your world, Gowling WLG is dedicated to applying the necessary energy, time and resources to ensure your success. With a personal, responsive approach and an unwavering commitment to delivering superior service, our goal is to establish lasting relationships with our fund management and fund investor clients.
We know you have choices when it comes to selecting your legal advisers, and understand that any successful relationship begins with a great conversation about the challenges and opportunities you face. Please contact any other member of our team to find out how we can help you.