Delivering enhanced efficiency, quality & reliability
Contest Creator by Gowling WLG (Canada) LLP is an automated application that helps users to create a set of contest rules for contests run in Canada. The tool guides users through an interactive online questionnaire that helps streamline the legal review process and generates contest rules for downloading or printing.
Contest Creator incorporates our expertise in Canadian contest laws and best practices honed from years of experience, within a user-friendly platform designed for brand teams.
The need: Contests are highly regulated
Contests are highly regulated in Canada. Prior to launch, sponsors need to ensure that the contest is designed with the many laws that govern Canadian contests in mind, including:
- Criminal Code
- Competition Act
- Quebec Charter of the French Language
- Quebec Act respecting lotteries, publicity contests and amusement machines
- Privacy laws
- Intellectual property laws
Ultimately, a contest's official rules form a binding legal contract between the sponsor and each entrant. To meet the legal requirements that govern a contest, as well as formalize the sponsor's rights and limited liability in the course of its administration, it is important that comprehensive rules are developed to govern every contest.
The problem: It's a complex process
Drafting legally compliant contest rules is traditionally a complex process that requires considerable input from legal counsel. Relevant details must be consolidated and legal requirements must be applied before proceeding to drafting the contest rules provisions. This process can be burdensome, time-consuming and costly.
The solution: Contest Creator is a streamlined method for developing contest rules
Contest Creator offers a streamlined method for team members to develop contest rules, which can thereafter be quickly reviewed by legal counsel.
- The easy-to-use and intuitive tool presents a few questions at a time, requiring input of only the key contest details.
- Embedded guidance and warnings alert users to legal risks and important considerations.
- Upon completion, the application produces the contest rules and a session transcript that identifies sections that require legal counsel's particular attention.
- The system can be customized for clients to incorporate internal procedures, preferred language and branding.
- We maintain the customized version on your behalf, in order to keep it up-to-date with changing internal requirements.
- We also support the customized version, and are available to answer questions from internal users.
How it works
Built for use by brand team members, our easy-to-use contest tool allows users to create comprehensive contest rules.