Will the Hamilton LRT affect your property rights?
To build the LRT project, the expropriating authority may need to acquire land from you and your neighbours. If you are affected by this project, as a property owner, a tenant, a business owner or otherwise (an "Affected Party"), you may be entitled to compensation for your loss.
The Ontario Expropriations Act provides for full compensation that includes payment by the expropriating authority of the Affected Party's reasonable legal, professional, appraisal and expert fees.
The expropriation process can be complicated and is governed by strict timelines and procedures. Gowling WLG, in partnership with RSM Canada, invite you to attend our FREE open houses to learn more about the project, navigating the process, protecting your rights and helping you receive fair compensation.
Free Open House
- Date: Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019
- Time: 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Location: Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, 116 King St. W., Hamilton, ON
- RSVP to Kathy LeBlanc at Kathy.LeBlanc@gowlingwlg.com or +1 (905) 540-2481
Receive alerts about the project and upcoming free open houses by signing up for our LRT Hamilton Update newsletter.
The Expropriation Process
Learn more about the steps in the expropriation process, including:
- Informal negotiations
- Application for approval to expropriate
- Approval of expropriation
- Registration of a plan of expropriation
- Notice of expropriation and election
- Statutory offer of compensation
- Negotiation proceedings before the Board of Negotiation
- Arbitration proceedings before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal
Learn about your rights to compensation and the implications of expropriation, including:
- Market value
- Injurious affection
- Disturbance damages/relocation costs
- Business Loss
- Taxation implications of expropriation
Gowling WLG Expropriation Team
The Gowling WLG expropriation team is recognized as a leader in this practice area, having acted as legal counsel in many leading cases. Our expertise and experience will help guide Affected Parties to receive full and fair compensation.
RSM Canada Expropriation Team
RSM Canada, the leading global provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, has a dedicated team of expropriation professionals who help private property owners understand the extent of losses during an expropriation. With a team of accounting and valuation consultants, we prepare claims for Affected Parties and provide accurate, defensible and timely calculations.
LRT News & Resources