The fast-paced and innovative nature of the industry, calls for a legal team that:
- Provides sector insight and know-how – new medical advances occur daily. You need lawyers who operate at the forefront of this dynamic sector, helping you to keep abreast of the issues
- Operates on a global scale – healthcare is becoming increasingly international. Lawyers need to understand the interplay between jurisdictions and share best practice
- Navigates the highly regulated landscape – government and regulatory scrutiny is at an all-time high. Increased potential liability relating to your products and services demands high-quality legal advice
As trusted advisers to some of the sector's biggest players, this is exactly what Gowling WLG provides through our dedicated health practice. In 2015 we were recognised by the Legal 500 as a "Highly experienced team providing a 'seamless service' and a 'major presence on procurement projects'."
We give clients a comprehensive healthcare offering. Our team includes healthcare specialists in commissioning, outsourcing, corporate M&A, capital markets, regulatory, data protection, commercial, IP, employment, banking and procurement law.
Led by Robert Breedon our team includes lawyers with a focus on the following areas within healthcare:
- Public sector
- Private sector
- Digital health
The NHS is under more stress than at any time since its creation. The pressure is on to provide services that are accessible and high-quality in tandem with cutting costs.
From strategic projects through to joint ventures, social enterprises, procurement support and employment-related advice, our team is helping the UK Government offer greater choice and flexibility in the provision of healthcare.
In the private sector, the team boasts industry knowledge and technical expertise, with sector specialists including Jon Lent, Andy Stylianou, Ian Piggin, Andrew Litchfield, Mike Lacey and Christine Jackson.
Leading private healthcare providers and investors call upon our team's M&A, capital markets, finance and private equity experts to deliver major transactions.
We also have extensive experience in advising clients in the care home sector, including those involved in residential care homes, retirement villages and homes for people in need of psychiatric or dementia care.
The team boasts significant experience of advising borrowers and lenders on care home, LD, domiciliary care and specialist unit acquisition and development financings, as well as on the financing and development of private hospitals.
Highlights of our private healthcare experience includes:
- Advising Formation Capital LLC on its acquisition (and related financing) of the of NHP Group/HC One for £477 million
- Acting on the sale of Cygnet Health to Universal Health Services
- Advising Golden House on its £30 million acquisition of St Cloud Care
- Advising on the sale and leaseback to a US Reit of the Circle Hospital in Bath
- Acting for Circle Group on a cash placing and subscription to raise £47.5 million and in relation to a group-wide reorganisation and streamlining of their real estate and business operations and on the sale of one of their larger hospitals
- Advising St Martin’s Healthcare Limited, a subsidiary of HCA Holdings Inc, in relation to its recommended cash offer for PLUS-quoted General Medical Clinics Plc
- Advising Regard Holdings Limited on the £71 million re-financing of existing debt, which involved an intra-group reorganisation
- Representing Voyage Care on its £8.5 million plus earn out acquisition of Partners in Specialist Care, a provider of home-based nursing for adults and children with brain and spinal injuries and complex neurological conditions
- Acting for Santander on £35 million joint venture development financing for three care homes. Nominated in the HealthInvestor Awards 2015 as best legal adviser (private) and best legal adviser (transactional private)
The changing NHS regime brings many complex competition law issues into play. The firm's award-winning Competition & EU team provides specialist advice on a full range of contentious and non-contentious competition law issues.
Advances in communications and IT have yet to fulfil anything like their full potential in healthcare. But, in a world in which the number of mobile phones outnumbers people and where genetics can predict which conditions will strike years before they do, the potential for Connected Health to transform healthcare is enormous.
We are a global leader in digital health (eHealth), bringing together specialist expertise in healthcare, life sciences and technology to help our clients maximise opportunities.
The firm is ranked as a leading healthcare firm by both Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK.
"They have an intuitive understanding of healthcare issues. I am particularly impressed by the level of partner engagement. Advice given is appropriate and commercial and value for money is very good." – Chambers UK 2015