International arbitration offers a number of potential benefits to commercial parties. These include a greater degree of choice and control over how a dispute is managed (when compared to litigation in national courts), greater relevant expertise of the tribunal, the confidentiality that comes with arbitration, and the potential for easier recognition and enforcement of awards.
International arbitration is a key part of our global dispute resolution offering, and our team is well placed to guide you through the process, from drafting your dispute resolution provisions to conducting any resulting arbitration.
The team comprises lawyers in the UK, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Canada, with international arbitration experts situated in the major arbitration centres of London, Paris, Dubai and Singapore. Members of the team have extensive experience of arbitrations across the globe (including, in particular, London, Paris, Geneva, Dubai, Moscow, Bermuda, Singapore and Hong Kong) under the rules of all of the major international arbitration bodies including ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA, ICSID, SIAC, CIETAC and the SCC.
The team has particular sector experience in energy, natural resources, intellectual property, insurance, construction and IT disputes and is recognised in Legal 500 as being "known for insurance and reinsurance arbitrations, construction disputes (often Dubai related), and energy and commercial cases".
The team's clients include major construction contractors, insurers, clients in the technology and aerospace industries, and national governments. Recent highlights of our team members include:
- Acting for the Government of Albania in a hydroelectric plant concession dispute in an ICC arbitration arising out of claims from Italian concessionaire interests and in an associated ICSID arbitration under the Italy-Albania bilateral investment treaty.
- Representing an international engineering contractor in a $100m dispute, arising out of time and monetary overruns arising in connection with the design and construction of an industrial facility in the Middle East.
- Counsel to a nuclear operator in an arbitration involving cost overruns associated with the refurbishment of certain infrastructure with a claim in the range of several hundred million dollars.
- Representing a high-profile international contractor in English High Court proceedings and in an ICC arbitration concerning a contract for work on a landmark energy research institution in Riyadh, for a claim in excess of US$150 million.
- Acting for reinsurers in respect of losses arising from the Costa Concordia cruise liner disaster.
- Acting in an ad hoc Bermuda Form insurance arbitration for excess financial institutions insurers where the underlying claims of around US$50 million related to broker contingent commissions.
- Defending a major industrial group against an ICC claim brought by a Indian steel producer in concerning an iron ore production plant.
- Acting in a LCIA arbitration where the claimant seeks cancellation of a debenture and damages in respect of an alleged breach of a share subscription agreement.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration for an international joint venture owner and operator of a fuel pipeline and marine terminal in East Africa in claims against the EPC contractor
- Acting in an LMAA arbitration for a shipyard in a dispute with the purchaser of one of the world's largest super yachts
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration for the supplier of oil under a long term supply agreement following its termination
- Acting for a Northern European company in relation to a dispute with a Saudi Arabian company concerning the construction of a titanium smelter in Saudi Arabia (ICC)
- Acting for the Respondent on an ICC Arbitration concerning the construction of a Nuclear Power Plant in Northern Europe (€4 billion) and on two separate, connected adjudications.
For more information or to discuss how we can help with your dispute, please contact Tom Price, David Breslin or Gordon Bell.