Our 12-strong specialist team combines a commercial and tactical approach to help our clients' brands work harder. Whether in the initial stages of conception and development or in enforcement of a mature and established brand, we enable clients to reduce risk and maximise brand potential.
Led by partners Cerryg Jones, Kate Swaine and Alex Brodie our team delivers a comprehensive brands service, with expertise in trademarks, designs, copyright, domain names, confidential information, trade secrets and licensing.
We understand the challenges and opportunities of brand management and apply legal expertise and commercial insight to our client's advantage.
- Acting for an extensive range of products and services - innovative software solutions, children's dinosaur sets, carpets, steel panels, ice cream, aircraft seats or false moustaches. Getting to know our clients inside out is a priority for the team to ensure client portfolios are commercially relevant, appropriately protected and effectively exploited.
- Helping our clients get the most from their brands by advising on brand clearance from an early stage, in order to minimise the risk of future exposure and to maximise the potential strength of the brand.
- Advising global businesses with global brands. Our team can be found helping North American companies adopt and exploit their brands in Europe, guiding the development of Europe-wide brand portfolios, advising the UK's top businesses on rebranding strategies and confidentiality policies or managing global enforcement programmes.
- Working on high-profile trademark infringement cases, using expertise to handle complex trademark cases with a record of success in the High Court. We acted for Comic Enterprises, the owner of the Glee Club comedy and music group, in its battle with 20th Century Fox and succeeded in a claim for trade mark infringement. We have secured judgments for household names such as Hasbro, Unilever and Kingspan Plc.
- Offering clients a brands audit service to help them get their houses in order and offer in-house training to support client's brand strategies and ensure that the business in consistent is its approach.
- Acting on domain name disputes through World Intellectual Property Organisation or Nominet, enforcing in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and developing cost effective, repeat enforcement strategies for clients, to ensure that responses are proportionate and commercial.
- Secondments to companies such as Aston Martin, Marks & Spencer and Hasbro; working closely with in-house design teams such as Mothercare; and undertaking holiday cover for Iglo Foods Group; the team understands the issues clients face on a day-to-day basis.
With team members in Paris and Munich, we are able to advise clients not only on their UK brand strategy and management but on Europe wide issues. The support of our teams across Canada, in Moscow and Guangzhou means we can also advise on the global issues raised by manufacturing, import and export and brand exploitation across the world.
In other countries we have established a network of partner firms with true expertise in brands law so that our clients can be assured of a global service. In partnership with our own offices and those of our wider network we have conducted successful international enforcement strategies to address infringements in over 50 countries worldwide.
We are members of the British Brands Group, the International Trade Mark Association, the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys, Marques and the Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group which ensures we are up to date on the latest issues.
We produce and distribute regular alerts and hold an annual seminar addressing the latest issues effecting brands owners.