At Gowling WLG, we understand this because our leading private capital team advises the world's wealthiest families and the banks and offshore trustees who work with them.
To give you total peace of mind about the future of your assets, you need a legal team that is:
- Experienced - our depth of experience avoids the learning curve that can cause delay and add costs. Pose a problem, we will find the answer. You can expect timely solutions tailored to your specific circumstances.
- Commercial - technical excellence is a given, but acting for some of the world's richest individuals and families demands commercial rigour. Many own large enterprises and require expertise on novel structuring and trust formations.
- International - our international offices and network of contacts in the 'offshore world' mean that wherever you are based, you are working with a team fully versed with local tax and succession laws. We have strong links with the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Switzerland, Bermuda and the Caribbean. We have particular expertise in the Middle East and Far East, where we have offices in Dubai and Singapore. Partner Nick Jacob specialises and travels extensively in the Far East and has been named as one of the top ten private client practitioners in the world.
Led by the "very measured and commercial" (Chambers UK) Anthony Thompson, our team is best known for its international work and advising on: cross-border, tax efficient asset holding structures for high net worth individuals - often making use of trusts; foundations or family offices; family governance and succession planning; tax planning for individuals arriving, leaving or investing in the UK; international estate planning; contentious trusts and estates issues; risk management advice for professional trustees; immigration; international estate administration and high-value residential conveyancing.
Bespoke solutions for high net worth individuals
How do I transfer my business to the next generation? What is the best structure to put in place before selling my company? As a high net worth individual, whatever your concerns or objectives, our internationally renowned lawyers will find the best solution for your personal and business needs. It's why global clients including 35 billionaires choose to work with us.
One Singapore-based family called upon our expertise to create an unusual family governance structure, using multiple trusts to protect the interest of family members and descendants.
For a Middle East based billionaire, a bespoke structure addressed his concerns about preserving and enhancing his wealth for future generations whilst protecting more financially vulnerable family members.
Wealth management institutions and trustees also turn to us for expert advice on implementing robust international tax and succession planning structures.
We also help private banks' clients and other philanthropically minded individuals to meet their philanthropic objectives by establishing charitable structures.
High net worth individuals requiring UK immigration advice are in safe hands. Experience includes advising a family from South America on their relocation to the UK. Operating to tight timescales, our advice ranged from UK tax planning, making successful investor visa applications, to amending family business governance structures to be tax efficient in both the UK and their country of origin.
Fighting your corner
Our private capital team is supported by talented contentious trust and estate specialists with expertise in both onshore and offshore conflicts.
Led by partner Catharine Bell, the team helps clients to avoid litigation, through the formation of secure trust structures, family constitutional arrangements and providing advice on marital property regimes. Specialist advice on administrative risk and regulatory rules are also relevant in avoiding and managing clients' exposure to potential disputes. When litigation is unavoidable, we are highly experienced in project managing cross-jurisdictional court actions, negotiating situations where different laws conflict and managing reputational damage.
- Winner - Lead partner Anthony Thompson named in eprivateclient's Top 50 Most Influential 2016
- Nominated as London Law Firm of the Year in the Citywealth Magic Circle Awards 2015
- Winner - Private Client Specialism of the Year - Contentious Trusts and Probate, The Legal 500 UK 2014 Awards.
- Nominated as Private Client Team of the Year in The British Legal Awards 2014
- Nominated as Singapore Law Firm of the Year in the Citywealth International Financial Centre Awards 2015
- Nominated as Private Wealth Team of the Year in The Lawyer Awards 2014
Our services include:
- contentious trusts and estates
- estate administration
- family governance and business succession planning
- French tax
- high net worth UK immigration
- UK residential property
- tax for individuals and trustees.