We have one of the biggest dedicated development and regeneration teams in the UK and act for a wide range of developers, funders and local authorities, delivering innovative and commercial solutions to often complex specifications quickly and efficiently.
Our comprehensive real estate development and regeneration service includes site assembly (with or without compulsory purchase) including obtaining vacant possession, managing the planning process to secure the necessary planning permission, structuring and negotiating tax-efficient development and financing arrangements. It also extends to negotiating construction contracts, professionals' appointments and all necessary infrastructure and neighbour agreements and dealing with the lettings and sale of the development.
The broad spectrum of asset classes we deal with means our expertise advising on mixed use schemes and regeneration sites is unparalleled.
Our experience includes advising:
- Ballymore Properties on its agreements with the United States of America for the development of its new embassy at Nine Elms, London
- St Modwen Developments on its joint venture with VINCI PLC in relation to the £2 billion redevelopment of the New Covent Garden Market, London
- a consortium of developers (Taylor Wimpey, Linden Homes and Bovis Homes) on the acquisition of 1,200 acres of land near Plymouth for the development of the new town of Sherford which, when completed, will contain 5,500 homes, schools, recreational facilities and a place of worship
- Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd on the purchase and development of approximately £750m of foodstore developments. The projects have ranged from solus developments (Sutton/Greenwich London) to town centre regeneration projects (Bicester Town Centre). We acted in conjunction with not only sellers/developers but other important financial and material stakeholders such a local authorities, government agencies and associated local bodies. We have also executed a £250m sale and leaseback programme which provided Sainsbury's with additional capital as well as operational and strategic flexibility
- be:here, a new company created by Willmott Dixon, on a residential development at the Aberfeldy estate in east London to provide homes for the private rented sector
- Prime Knightsbridge Developments Limited, the owners of Bulgari Hotels & Residences, on the development, structuring, procurement, construction, letting and sale of the residences, penthouse apartments and the hotel element
Our regeneration team is skilled in the delivery of complex and strategically significant long-term projects.
We are experienced in advising clients on the management of long term strategic assets, drafting development agreements and best practice gained from extensive experience of developing and managing competitive procurements.
We regularly advise on the formation and role of joint ventures (corporate and contractual) and other delivery arrangements, profit (and risk) sharing arrangements, tax mitigation, CPO powers and processes (including compromise agreements with third parties and indemnity arrangements with developer partners).
Gowling WLG is the legal supporter of the inaugural Estates Gazette 'Peter Wilson Lecture' and a campaign on the future of regeneration.