We have advised on some of the highest profile hotel transactions with luxury and world-renowned brands, and with some of the biggest names in the hotels business, most recently acting on three of the top 10 singe-asset deals by size in the UK in 2015.
What we can do for you
Our team draws on the substantial expertise of our leading corporate, finance and real estate practices, together with our specialists in construction, tax, planning, environment, employment and property litigation.
We advise owners, investors, developers, financial institutions and alternative lenders, and operators and asset managers, across the hotel industry on all aspects of hotel businesses, including:
- Sales and purchases of hotels, hotel portfolios, and luxury resorts
- Hotel construction and development
- Hotel management agreements
- Franchise agreements
- Senior and mezzanine debt financing and related security
- Direct agreements and subordination agreements
- Asset management arrangements
- IP, licensing, food & beverage, and other operational, commercial and technical issues related to hotels
- Debt restructuring and recapitalisation (including renegotiation of management agreements and incentive fee arrangements)
M&A and Operational Expertise
Our corporate team advise on acquisitions and disposals of hotels, luxury resorts and developments; hotel management agreements; franchise agreements and direct agreements/non-disturbance agreements, working with some of the best known brands in the market.
We advise on asset management agreements and arrangements, duty of care agreements, brand and IP licences and other operational and commercial issues.
We also advise on the restructuring of fee, incentive fee and management arrangements.
Our investment funds practice also advises on capital raisings for various hotels-focussed funds across the globe, for example raising funds for investment and development including hotels in Vietnam and surrounding Asian countries and also in South East Europe.
Key contact: Mike Lacey
Gowling WLG's dedicated hotel finance team, advises investors, owners, developers, and financial institutions, alternative lenders, and other funders on UK, EU and international transactions, including:
- acquisition and development financing facilities for full service luxury hotels and other trophy assets
- financing of hotel portfolios
- mezzanine financing and equity JV arrangements for hotel projects
We specialise in restructuring debt finance arrangements secured on hotel assets, and advise on loan-to-own strategies, non-disturbance/duty of care and direct agreements.
Key contacts: Jon Lent, Matthew East, Nick Turner
Real Estate Expertise
Our Real Estate Group advises on all aspects of property acquisitions and disposals; development agreements, planning issues and construction matters; operating leases; concessions, licenses, car parking and other on-going property management issues and transactions; and landlord, operator and tenant disputes.
Key contacts: Christine Jackson, Matthew East