Chris Nyland relieves the headaches that arise when the UK tax system collides with clients' property activities: whether they are doing deals or managing portfolios.
A solid tax foundation makes good deals great; and a portfolio is only well managed when the parties have peace of mind on tax. Achieving either of these states means coordinating property, finance and legal teams; factoring in the concerns of collaborative partners; and second-guessing the other side's position.
Chris can help because he has spent his whole career sitting with and working as an embedded tax specialist with property practitioners - be they lawyers, surveyors, tax consultants, or accountants: all in full-service real estate groups. He understands the property industry, its people, their languages, and how to get everyone pulling in the right direction.
He advises some of the largest operators in the property industry, and speaks at leading national conferences, on precisely this area. He builds structures and systems to manage tax, and has particular interest and expertise in the application of (and development of) cutting-edge data analytics software and has spoken about this at an international technology conference.
In addition to his real estate-related work, Chris regularly advises on VAT issues for a broad range of clients. Issues include cross-border supply-chain logistics, drugs and healthcare, and financial services structuring.
Chris' clients include Taylor Wimpey, Persimmon, Bloor, Bellway, Wilmott Dixon, Sanctuary Housing Association, KKR, Blackstone, LaSalle Investment Management, JP Morgan Asset Management, Development Securities, Schroders, Royal London, Goodman, Conygar.
- Delivered tax due diligence, structuring and compliance advice to a consortium comprised of Taylor Wimpey, Linden Homes and Bovis Homes to enable them to complete a major land purchase earmarked for the development of a new market town in the South West of England.
- Provided VAT and capital allowances guidance to Intu Properties plc on its £250 million acquisition of Midsummer Place Shopping Centre.
- Ensured a stable tax footing for the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology Trust on its collaborative joint venture with the University of Oxford.
- Managed the tax risks on TQ Education & Training Limited's deal with Babcock International Group plc to deliver the £3 billion Royal School of Military Engineering PPP project.
- Provided VAT advice to Argos on its high-profile agreement with eBay to allow in-store collection for customers.
- Gave tax structuring and compliance advice to Development Securities to assist with its delivery of Hammersmith Central project from start to finish.
- Provided the workaround to a VAT concern that would have prevented the rescue of a major nursing home business.
- Pulled a client back from the brink of a ruinous deal where its 'Big Four' adviser had missed a fundamental property law point in its VAT analysis.