Based in the UAE, Suhail has been advising the government sector, multi-national corporations, local family groups, regional and international investment funds and ultra-high net worth individuals on a wide range of corporate and commercial transactions across the Middle East and North Africa region for over 10 years.
His deep knowledge of the myriad of laws that apply to business transactions in the region, coupled with his understanding of local business practices and culture, place him in an excellent position to advise on deal implementation across the region. He prides himself in being on top of every aspect of a transaction with the sole focus of achieving his client's objectives in a timely and efficient manner.
Suhail's practice includes corporate and commercial transactions including M&A, private equity and corporate structuring/re-organisations. He also advises on anti-bribery, regulatory compliance, corporate governance and employment matters.
Suhail is also active in the infrastructure sector advising on projects in the Middle East and Africa region acting for government authorities, offtakers, sponsors and lenders on PPP transactions in the energy and utilities sectors. Most recently, he led a team advising the UAE Government's Federal Electricity & Water Authority on the successful procurement of a key water desalination plant (with total capital expenditure of USD 1 billion) in the Northern Emirates. This was a complex project that required him to work intensively with the UAE Government sector in order to achieve financial close on a project finance transaction involving a syndicate of local and international banks and marks the first Independent Water Project executed by the UAE Government's Federal Electricity & Water Authority.
He is recommended as an expert UAE-based lawyer by legal directories Legal 500 EMEA and IFLR 1000.
Suhail's deal experience in the region includes acting for:
- The Federal Electricity and Water Authority of the UAE on the procurement of a new build water desalination plant (with capital expenditure of USD 1bn) in the Emirate of Umm Al Quwain (on an IWP basis).
- The Federal Electricity and Water Authority of the UAE on the entry into a joint venture development agreement with Mubadala for the development of power and utility facilities in the Northern Emirates
- Carnival Corporation on its participation as port operator in a multi-billion US dollar development for a new cruise liner terminal in the UAE.
- Saudi Arabia's Zahid Group on its acquisition of a 50% stake in Greencells Group (one of Europe's largest solar plant developers and operators).
- True North Partners on all GCC aspects of a transaction in which they committed to invest US$200 million of funds into healthcare sector company, KIMS Group.
- Emirates NBD on its investment in a UAE payment clearing platform as majority investor along with other Middle Eastern banks.
- Spanish hotel operator, Barcelo, on its Middle East hotel management operations and acquisition of a 50% interest in a UAE hotel operator.
- AIM listed Wishbone Gold PLC on various acquisitions in the Middle East.
- Fyffes PLC on its expansion into the Middle East and acquisition of distribution hubs/warehousing facilities.