Over the past 20 years, the demand for digital data has grown explosively.
Data centres now underpin our digital economy - for corporate IT services, digital media, financial services, mobile computing, social networking and internet access.
We help the owners and operators of data centres, their funders and the enterprises which use them to navigate through the legal issues relating to this fast-moving industry.
Meeting the increasing demand on businesses for data processing, storage and options for flexibility is an ongoing challenge. So when it comes to handling the legal aspects of data centre operations, it pays to work with lawyers who are fully immersed in the sector. Focused on helping clients achieve their commercial goals, we provide speed, commercialism and cost-effective advice to resolve complex issues and maximise investment.
As one of the only legal teams in Europe dedicated to this sector, Gowling WLG's full-service data centres team is unique. Our team unites industry specialists from real estate, information technology (IT), banking, outsourcing, commercial, construction, energy infrastructure and data protection, to add value to clients. We help:
- data centre developers and investors in connection with the initial site acquisition, energy and connectivity issues relating to the development/construction of data centres using a variety of different acquisition and funding structures
- data centre operators on the creation and negotiation of occupational and/or services agreements for the sale of capacity and/or services at a data centre, whether wholesale or retail colocation, or framework/master service agreements/leases for the sale of a range of services
- data centre owners on the funding arrangements, including debt financing and re-financing
- service integrators and other service providers on reviewing and drafting standard terms of business and the structuring and negotiation of complex, multi-vendor arrangements
- occupiers, end users, and the buyers of services provided at data centres on the terms of their contracts with the data centre owner and/or operator, and the service level agreement that they can or should expect
- on IT procurement, IT outsourcing, energy procurement, e-business, intellectual property (IP) licensing and data protection issues
Constantly tracking new developments in the field, our specialists boast deep technical expertise. Wider relationships with developers, agents, landowners and 'best-friend' firms also benefit clients by helping them to progress deals across jurisdictions quickly and effectively.
Gowling WLG was recently shortlisted in the 'Law Firm of the Year' category at Data Economy's Finvest Global Awards 2020, which celebrates the best legal experts, financers and advisory firms in the data centre, cloud and edge computing markets.