With increasing demands being placed on our environment, businesses need to be aware of chemical laws and regulations surrounding the import or manufacture of various substances and their effect on people and the planet. Products must comply with a host of regulations and issues, including environmental impact and end of life cycle disposal.
Gowling WLG has one of the strongest environmental regulatory practices in Canada. Time and time again, our professionals have been internationally recognized for their specialist knowledge in environmental law - an edge gained through a commitment to providing the highest level of regulatory, environmental and advertising service to our clients.
Our Chemicals Group is made up of a dedicated team of experts in offices across Canada. Through its broad-reaching and locally focused, interdisciplinary approach, our firm endeavours to help clients negotiate the complex terrain of regulations in a strategic and cost-effective manner.
We work with companies of all sizes, guiding them through the necessary steps to comply with regulatory frameworks for products in many industries, such as chemicals, consumer products, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, food, pest control and fertilizer. We act for chemical and product manufacturers, importers, carriers and users of chemicals on provincial and federal regulatory matters.
- Advisor to several international companies on the registration, labelling, importation and use of pesticides and fertilizers in Canada.
- Advised international auto-manufacturer on the approval, importation and use of various disinfectant products to assist with rapid reopening of manufacturing capabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advised popular essential oils company on the Canadian chemical reporting process as it relates to the Domestic Substances List, the Non-Domestic Substances List, and New Substance Notification requirements.
- Advised corporation on labelling requirements for chemicals falling under the Feeds Act and Regulations, administered by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
- Advised American companies on the requirements for Canadian approval and novel use of nanomaterials for antibacterial purposes.
- Advised international companies on the application of pest control product regulation to laboratory and home product filters, securing clarity and clearance from the Pest Management Regulatory Agency with respect to importation of such products into Canada.
Our advice spans all levels of the product commercialization cycle, including:
- Manufacturing, registering, importing, packaging, labelling, use and disposal of food and chemical substances
- Managing product licence submissions with Health Canada and/or Environment Canada
- Post-licensing issues, including enforcement
- Product classification
- Reporting and record-keeping obligations
- Risk assessment
- Substance registration
In particular, as part of the product review process for drugs and natural health products, we examine individual product ingredients (medicinal and non-medicinal) to determine whether there are any overt regulatory matters specific to those ingredients.
To learn more about how our Chemicals Group can help you succeed, please contact a member of our team.